Question about computer USB out
Jan 9, 2011 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

m0gwai

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

This is a very basic question, actualy so basic I couldn't find the answer online. I'm looking at getting a DAC and since I have multiple source I would like to keep the toslink and coaxial for other gear and use the USB audio out from my computer to the DAC

I have an IMAC, so I was wondering what you actually have to do to simply use the USB out, is there a settings either on the MAC or inside the media player itself, or do I need to buy some sort of external soundcard?

Thanks a lot

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey,

Thanks for your answer, I read the link you provided especially the second one. I will indeed get a DAC with a USB input, what I don't get is how to 'tell' my IMAC it should output sound through the USB port, or once the DAC is plugged into the iMAC it will be recognized as an audio device and I will be able to select USB as an output.

Because right now the only option that I have is to use the digital out, which is toslink, however the DAC i'm looking at is only USB+coaxial so it's pretty important that I understand how to deal with USB audio out of my MAC

Thanks a lot

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 5
Once the DAC is plugged into the USB port it should be recognized as an audio playback device (drivers auto install)  that you can then select.  At least that's how it usually works on a windows machine.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 5
You could also get a USB to SPDIF converter, or a DAC that can act as one, to output to a DAC with SPDIF input.

This does that for only $25:
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/sound-cards/audio-advantage-micro-ii.aspx

As so do the more expensive (and more flexible) NuForce uDAC & uDAC 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back