Question about CD quality with Fiest, Classical, Jazz, etc
Oct 29, 2007 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

stick

New Head-Fier
Hullo All

I'm a beginner audiophile in search of some answers. I listen on a HeadRoom Desktop amp, through AKG 701's and a Denon SACD/DVD Audio player. Since getting this rig, I've been checking out a variety of CD's in my collection to see how they sound. I don't know if it is the Quality of the recording, the physical CD itself, how the CD was mastered or what, but Fiest's new album seems to sound very "fuzzy" now, maybe this was something that the sound editor wanted to achive, I don't know, but other CD's don't have it. I guess my question is this: Is there anything I can do when I purchase a CD/SACD or DVD Audio that tells me the quality of the recording? ie is there a symbol or number on CD packaging that will tell me if it's well recorded or not? Sorry if this sound confusing or stupid. I just want to know how to make sure the CD's I buy are of good quality.

Thanks for any advice.
Stick

Oct 29, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 3
Ha, it would be nice..but you're not gonna find any sort of "symbol" on an album that tells you what the recording quality is like.

As for the Feist CD, it's produced to give sort of a "Lo-Fi" feeling..like a bedroom recording. To give a more intimate vibe.

My suggestion is just to do internet research on an album before you buy it. Even search for albums you are thinking of buying here in the music forum..sound quality is almost always discussed.

Oct 29, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 3
Jellybones

Thanks for the info. I kinda figured it was a decision by the sound engineer/artist. I've taken your advice and posted re. quality of sound for albums I'm looking at getting.

Thanks again
Stick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back