1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Question about burning in my Ultrasone's HFI-580

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by supbrowawawa, Oct 20, 2011.
  1. supbrowawawa
    They're still kinda fresh and I was wondering how would "burning" them in change the sound? The highs on them are a tad harsh. Would they mellow out after some burn-in time?

How does burning in these cans going to affect its bass? Would it make the bass stronger, weaker, punchier, mellower, etc..

2. Gwarmi
    Harsh highs on the Ultrasone 580? [​IMG]

Must be a case of burn-in ~ let them play varied material for 20-30 hrs and make sure your
    material is at least 256kbps MP3 and see what happens.

It's pretty common for new headphones, slight tinniness, hollow sound that fleshes out
    after some time.

3. supbrowawawa
    Yeah, I've read around and others were saying they have a slight harshness in highs.

4. Clownzor
    Yea I find the highs a bit harsh and mids a bit recessed. I use the "treble reducer" eq on my ipod and it helps no end.

5. fabio-fi

Quote:

Right, some people find the Highs a bit harsh when out of the box. But after 50hours of burn in, they become smoother. 

6. supbrowawawa
    How will a "burn-in" affect its bass?

7. Gwarmi

Quote:

The driver is an electro-mechanical device.

As it functions and plays music, the driver 'loosens' up which allows it to move more freely from it's original
    newly manufactured state. That's the theory anyway [​IMG]

8. supbrowawawa
    So i've let my 580's burn in for about 60 hours now and the harshness in the high's are beginning to fade away! =D

But i've also noticed that the bass doesn't seem as tight anymore :[ it has become slightly looser.

9. Optimus Praim
    Don't worry..
    This is normal,you will notice soon enough that it will get punchier...

10. supbrowawawa

Quote:

Really =D

That's a bit odd. Going from punchy, to loose, and back to punchy.

11. Optimus Praim
    Many people observed (including myself) during burn in period this ''come and go'' effect of the bass..
    I remember one time during burn in i had to switch to bass boost 3 on my E7 because bass was completely gone and after some hours later i had to lower it to 1...[​IMG]
    Eventually the bass will settle down and become punchy and tight so be patient..[​IMG]

12. supbrowawawa
    Coolness!

I was getting a bit worried. haha.

13. WhiteCrow

Quote:

the HFI-580's do have harsh highs. but the bass usually drowns them out.

14. Gwarmi
    I've listened to them amped with a Burson 160 ~ material was fairly decently mastered eg, Benny Benassi and Daft Punk
    ~ no harsh highs on my end according to my ears. This pair had seen hundreds of hours.

Might be different on a portable source and with questionable material. I find them a lot tamer than my M50's, not that
    I would call the M50's a shrilly headphone.