Question about burning in my Ultrasone's HFI-580
Oct 20, 2011 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

supbrowawawa

Head-Fier
They're still kinda fresh and I was wondering how would "burning" them in change the sound? The highs on them are a tad harsh. Would they mellow out after some burn-in time?

How does burning in these cans going to affect its bass? Would it make the bass stronger, weaker, punchier, mellower, etc..

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 14
Harsh highs on the Ultrasone 580? 
confused.gif

Must be a case of burn-in ~ let them play varied material for 20-30 hrs and make sure your
material is at least 256kbps MP3 and see what happens.

It's pretty common for new headphones, slight tinniness, hollow sound that fleshes out
after some time.

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
confused.gif

Right, some people find the Highs a bit harsh when out of the box. But after 50hours of burn in, they become smoother. 

Oct 21, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
How will a "burn-in" affect its bass?

The driver is an electro-mechanical device.

As it functions and plays music, the driver 'loosens' up which allows it to move more freely from it's original
newly manufactured state. That's the theory anyway 
L3000.gif

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 14
So i've let my 580's burn in for about 60 hours now and the harshness in the high's are beginning to fade away! =D

But i've also noticed that the bass doesn't seem as tight anymore :[ it has become slightly looser.

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 14
Don't worry..
This is normal,you will notice soon enough that it will get punchier...

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 14
Many people observed (including myself) during burn in period this ''come and go'' effect of the bass..
I remember one time during burn in i had to switch to bass boost 3 on my E7 because bass was completely gone and after some hours later i had to lower it to 1...
eek.gif

Eventually the bass will settle down and become punchy and tight so be patient..
wink_face.gif

Oct 22, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
confused.gif

Must be a case of burn-in ~ let them play varied material for 20-30 hrs and make sure your
material is at least 256kbps MP3 and see what happens.

It's pretty common for new headphones, slight tinniness, hollow sound that fleshes out
after some time.

the HFI-580's do have harsh highs. but the bass usually drowns them out.

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #14 of 14
I've listened to them amped with a Burson 160 ~ material was fairly decently mastered eg, Benny Benassi and Daft Punk
~ no harsh highs on my end according to my ears. This pair had seen hundreds of hours.

Might be different on a portable source and with questionable material. I find them a lot tamer than my M50's, not that
I would call the M50's a shrilly headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back