Question about buds/IEMs
May 27, 2006 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm considering venturing into the world of IEM's, and I don't know how well they would fit me or if I would like them.

I then came across this offer. 2 sets of Philips HE592's for a few cents under $18.

Would these be a way to see if IEM's are for me? Are the HE592's considered to be IEM's?

Would I be better off buying a pair of EP630's?

May 27, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez
I'm considering venturing into the world of IEM's, and I don't know how well they would fit me or if I would like them.

I then came across this offer. 2 sets of Philips HE592's for a few cents under $18.

Would these be a way to see if IEM's are for me? Are the HE592's considered to be IEM's?

Neither are IEMs IMO. More "buds" than anything else. (since they dont sit deep in the ear) Plus, trying to judge comfort of other phones of the same type by one phone doesnt work as well as youd think.
The only way to answer the question for sure is to take the jump and buy true solid sounding IEMs. I suggest the iM716 or the Ety 6i. Great places tp start and true IEMs.

May 27, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 11
Well I'm really not sure if I want to spend that much.
rolleyes.gif

I think what I'm really looking for is something cheap and more portable than my KSC75's when I really need the portability.

May 27, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Well I'm really not sure if I want to spend that much.
rolleyes.gif

I think what I'm really looking for is something cheap and more portable than my KSC75's when I really need the portability.

The 630 would fit that bill then although I dont find them THAT much more portable than the 75s and A WHOLE LOT less in the SQ department.
If you just dont have the space for the 75s, you dont have it. If you do or can adjust your setup to keep them in it, I would.
If I needed ultraportable IEM, Id start at the iM716. Buds dont float my boat and the tradeoff in size isnt worth the loss in SQ.

May 27, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 11
I just don't like shoving the KSC75's in my pocket.

I was thinking of maybe stopping at target or radio shack and seeing what junky buds they have. Maybe the koss plugs or something? These would be used only when I really need the isolation and the portability.

May 27, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

I just don't like shoving the KSC75's in my pocket.

I was thinking of maybe stopping at target or radio shack and seeing what junky buds they have. Maybe the koss plugs or something? These would be used only when I really need the isolation and the portability.

Buds arent THAT isolating plus I think you are underestimating your ears. Cheap Buds are more than likely going to be torture.
But if its an only every blue moon thing, guess it cant hurt.

May 28, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

I'm going to consider getting some EP630s, since I've heard great reviews from people here.

Judging by other member's descriptions around here, if you're a KSC-75 fan that might be a wise decision.

May 28, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Earbuds are different from IEMs or canalphones in that the "buds" are held in place just outside your ear canal by that little bit of ear cartilage and unless you get a perfect fit may be painful to use.

The IEMs or canalphones actually fit inside your ear canal and unless you get ther right ear tip can also be unpleasant to use. However, the IEMs often have different size ear tips to find a good fit for most people.

Regarding the Philips HE592's I am unable to comment on for total lack of knowledge on these.

The Sennheiser CX300 can be found on Amazon for anywhere from $30 to $60 USD ... the price seems to fluctuate depending upon their source I guess. Anyway, these provide acceptable bass with good mid-range and crisp highs. Isolation is pretty good too though not complete.

I understand that Creative EP-630 are very similar and can be had for $25 USD - http://cgi.ebay.ca/Creative-EP-630-I...QQcmdZViewItem

There is also Sony MDR-EX71 and MDR-EX51 under $50 USD.

I am very happy with my Senn CX300 and would recomend them as a good value for the sound/price ratio.

- roberto

May 28, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin-Fi
Earbuds are different from IEMs or canalphones in that the "buds" are held in place just outside your ear canal by that little bit of ear cartilage and unless you get a perfect fit may be painful to use.

The IEMs or canalphones actually fit inside your ear canal and unless you get ther right ear tip can also be unpleasant to use. However, the IEMs often have different size ear tips to find a good fit for most people.

Regarding the Philips HE592's I am unable to comment on for total lack of knowledge on these.

The Sennheiser CX300 can be found on Amazon for anywhere from $30 to $60 USD ... the price seems to fluctuate depending upon their source I guess. Anyway, these provide acceptable bass with good mid-range and crisp highs. Isolation is pretty good too though not complete.

I understand that Creative EP-630 are very similar and can be had for $25 USD - http://cgi.ebay.ca/Creative-EP-630-I...QQcmdZViewItem

There is also Sony MDR-EX71 and MDR-EX51 under $50 USD.

I am very happy with my Senn CX300 and would recomend them as a good value for the sound/price ratio.

- roberto

Just so you know, I did already know the difference between IEM's and buds.

I heard that the EP-630 is almost as good if not equal to the CX300's. I could save $20-$30 if I get the EP-630s too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back