Question about Bit Perfect optical
May 28, 2007 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Audio Jester

1000+ Head-Fier
A question for the techheads out there.
Mac Book Pros have a Bit perfect out, That means that they are sending a complete and "perfect" digital version of a file. (Right so far I hope)

So does this mean that you could not get a "better" optical signal, even with the hugely expensive transports etc. I notice the terms Jitter and Clocking etc. come up a lot around here... are they perfect too then??

So to sum things up. If I use a MBP optical out to a DAC and used FLAC, then the file would be played as good as the DAC possibly could play it. In essence I would have a "perfect" source?

confused.gif
...so very confused....

May 28, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A question for the techheads out there.
Mac Book Pros have a Bit perfect out, That means that they are sending a complete and "perfect" digital version of a file. (Right so far I hope)

So does this mean that you could not get a "better" optical signal, even with the hugely expensive transports etc. I notice the terms Jitter and Clocking etc. come up a lot around here... are they perfect too then??

So to sum things up. If I use a MBP optical out to a DAC and used FLAC, then the file would be played as good as the DAC possibly could play it. In essence I would have a "perfect" source?

confused.gif
...so very confused....

First, you will have to test if the bit connection to your DAC is indeed Bit Perfect. You can try this by connecting the source to your DAC and try adjusting the volume through your MBP. If the volume changes, then it's not BitPerfect; if pressing buttons on your computer cannot change the output volume, then it is.

Nothing is "perfect." Yes, the file codes and the mode of transportation might be exactly the same as the FLAC version, the devices/decoder used to play those file codes can vary differently. In other words, different DACs will give you different performance, just like how even different Optical Cables can alter the sound dramatically.

May 28, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 8
Hmm, well this still leaves one question. Let's say that the MBP is bitperfect. Does that mean that the source (MBP) is "perfect" as in if you connect the MBP to the best DAC ever made and compaired that to the best transport ever made outputing to the same DAC, would they both be as good as each other?? (does that make any sense)? What I am getting at is, when you have a "bit perfect" output on a laptop is the output "perfect" or are there still issues in the quality of sound??

confused.gif
... still very confused.

May 29, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 8
I may have party answered my own question, reading around it appears that the issue is not bit perfect connections, but infact jitter. The whole computer audio situation seems to have many issues surrounding it.
rolleyes.gif

Now to begin my quest: create a network music server that delivers The Goods. wish me luck.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 29, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 8
Hoo boy!

Bit perfect means just what it says. It is exactly what is in the original file. I use a Macbook with bitperfect digital output, and I couldn't hope for a better and more versitile source. I use my Macbook in my home stereo, on the road and to play DTS 5:1 sound from CDs. Get the Mac. You won't regret it.

If you are going to consider jitter in choosing a piece of equipment, make the salesman show you what jitter sounds like in an A/B comparison. (The short answer to that is that he won't be able to.) Jitter is a hoodoo.

See ya
Steve

May 29, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hoo boy!

I use a Macbook with bitperfect digital output, and I couldn't hope for a better and more versitile source. I use my Macbook in my home stereo, on the road and to play DTS 5:1 sound from CDs. Get the Mac. You won't regret it.

X2

May 30, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 8
cheers Bigshot and 2heavy, that's great to hear. I was starting to think that my future rig was going to require my own platinum-coated Fort Knox. Sometimes it really is difficult to tell who is talking out of their rectum and who is ligit. I was going to get a MBP anyway, so I guess things are moving in the right direction.

icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back