Question about Beyerdynamic dt250 (and Sony 7506) , advice needed
May 19, 2008 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

soundguy

New Head-Fier
hi guys,

It's my first time posting on this forum. There are a lot of users here very knowledgeable about headphones, maybe you could share some advice.
I'm looking for headphones for tracking voiceovers: good isolation, durable, very comfortable and relatively flat. After trying different types I find that DT250's are probably the most comfortable for my head (most headphones are too big or feel uncomfortable for me). I notice there are two types of dt250: 80 ohm and 250 ohm.

1) Are there any sound differences between those?

2) Which one would you recommend (dt250-250 or dt250-80; I would be driving them using Benchmark DAC1) and why?

3) Any additional comments or issues with Beyerdynamic dt 250?

I would greatly appreciate any input.

thank you in advance

May 19, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 15
I have the 80ohm version and have never heard the 250ohm (though some people say it sounds a tad better, with good amp of course).

Overall its a wonderful headphone, i wouldnt say its perfectly flat. But fairly close.
It doesnt extend to the extremes, but thats what I like about it, smooth and not fatuiging.

It really is a very sturdy headphone, definatly better than most in that regard.
My peeve is the cable, its a curly cable, which I find quite annoying if you like large distances (I only found this an issue playing guitar).

Overall a really nice balanced headphone though.

May 19, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 15
actually i was almost sure i was going for the dt250's but i just spent over an hour reading through this site and it seems like quiet a few people experience some technical difficulties with them (left different from right etc...) I definitely wouldnt like to go through that....
confused.gif

at the same time however, a lot of people seem to like Sony 7506 (especially when equipped with Beyerdynamic ear pads) - could it be that the 7506 could be more advisable in my case then?

May 19, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually i was almost sure i was going for the dt250's but i just spent over an hour reading through this site and it seems like quiet a few people experience some technical difficulties with them (left different from right etc...) I definitely wouldnt like to go through that....
confused.gif

People with problems are more likely to post about it... I haven't had any problems with mine. It's hard to judge those things without getting some sort of defect rate.

At first I didn't think I'd like the coiled cable, but I miss it sometimes now that I've moved to D2000s. I think it sounds like a good match for what you want.

May 19, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 15
I know for sure (from BeyerDynamic) that the DT250 imbalance problems have been fixed since 2005. There is no need to worry about that anymore.

The Sony 7506 sounds like crap. Wait...it's even much worse that that! I can't even describe how crappy those really are ! :O

May 20, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 80ohm version and have never heard the 250ohm (though some people say it sounds a tad better, with good amp of course).

Overall its a wonderful headphone, i wouldnt say its perfectly flat. But fairly close.
It doesnt extend to the extremes, but thats what I like about it, smooth and not fatuiging.

It really is a very sturdy headphone, definatly better than most in that regard.
My peeve is the cable, its a curly cable, which I find quite annoying if you like large distances (I only found this an issue playing guitar).

Overall a really nice balanced headphone though.

I totally agree with the above comments. I will never get rid of my DT250.

If you are always going to use an amp the 250 ohm may be a bit better sounding but getting the 80 ohm version them more versatile as they can be used from any source.

I got a DT100 straight cable for the DT250 and it is much better.

May 20, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 15
Philco,

I didn't know the problem only was taking place 3 years ago, I've read a quiet recent thread (2008) in which people were inquiring about it so it led me to believe that it's something pretty recent.

I'm in Canada and in my area the prices of the 2 headphones I'm considering are the following: Sony MDR 7506: $150, Beyerdynamic DT 250-80: $160 whereas the DT 250-250 is $220. (for some reason one place sells 250-80 for $160)

Of all the headphones I tried the most comfortable were those 2 and Sony 7506 are one of standards for VO tracking in many studios. But users on this forum seem to dislike them, while they say a lot of positive things about DT-250)

If they don't seem to have any of those problems anymore, I might consider the DT-250 instead of the 7506...
confused.gif

In any case, it's always good to get some feedback from actual users

much appreciated

May 20, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 15
Beyerdynamic fixed the imbalance problems years ago. If you buy a set now you shouldnt have any problems. There was a post somewhere about beyerdynamic saying so but cant find it.

May 20, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 15
I'm from Canada also.

I think the DT250-80 would be an excellent choice over the 7506. You really don't want to use the 7506, these cans sounds really bad (hyped high-mids, bad extension, no lower mids, boomy bass). Plus, the 7506 are made in China while the DT250 are made in Germany. Big difference in quality there, while being only $10 more.

About the imbalance problem, I was the one to bring up the thread recently but Beyer confirmed me by email that the problem was correct in 2005.

Quote:

Philco,

I didn't know the problem only was taking place 3 years ago, I've read a quiet recent thread (2008) in which people were inquiring about it so it led me to believe that it's something pretty recent.

I'm in Canada and in my area the prices of the 2 headphones I'm considering are the following: Sony MDR 7506: $150, Beyerdynamic DT 250-80: $160 whereas the DT 250-250 is $220. (for some reason one place sells 250-80 for $160)

Of all the headphones I tried the most comfortable were those 2 and Sony 7506 are one of standards for VO tracking in many studios. But users on this forum seem to dislike them, while they say a lot of positive things about DT-250)

If they don't seem to have any of those problems anymore, I might consider the DT-250 instead of the 7506...
confused.gif

In any case, it's always good to get some feedback from actual users

much appreciated

May 20, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #11 of 15
I was actually just thinking about selling off my DT250-80. Wonderful headphones, but I just don't use them anymore since getting the Future Sonics Atrio. I still have the original box. PM me if you're interested.

May 20, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 15
the 250ohm version is cleaner sounding than 80ohm, but still lacks any sort of resolution. it's basically a tweaked low end fone and $220 is way too much when the sony v6 is the same thing for much cheaper. i don't recommend changing to beyer pads as you won't get a proper seal thus screwing up the sound.

May 20, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #13 of 15
IMHO, it's the V6/7506 that lacks any sort of resolution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 250ohm version is cleaner sounding than 80ohm, but still lacks any sort of resolution. it's basically a tweaked low end fone and $220 is way too much when the sony v6 is the same thing for much cheaper. i don't recommend changing to beyer pads as you won't get a proper seal thus screwing up the sound.

May 20, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Philco,

I can see how you got that impression, but you're blowing the issue way out of proportion.

If you go back and read those threads carefully and take note of every person who mentioned having an actual problem with their actual pair of headphones, the channel imbalance was an issue that happened to just a few people 3 years ago.

The recent thread was just a guy asking if it had been fixed. And it's been fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back