Question about best way of Converting Flac into iTunes workable files
Jul 6, 2008 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

robenco18

Head-Fier
Hey,

So far, whenever I have files that are in FLAC I use an audio converter I have to convert it to an mp3 at 320kbps since iTunes doesn't read FLAC. Now as far as I know that is the best audio quality I can get from a file that I have to convert into iTunes. The only better stuff I have is from the cds I rip at apple lossless.

I'm not missing anything big am I? I can't convert FLAC into any higher of quality audio files that iTunes will recognize, right?

Thanks, I figured you'd guys would have more experience than me with all of this.

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #2 of 5
I suggest using the Songbird application, as it can play .flac natively and preserves the meta data. Thats what i resorted to since transcoding became a pain in the ass.

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 5
Well, you can transcode directly from FLAC to Apple Lossless. And maintain sound quality, tags, ...
I use Max for this task, and it works great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Or you can decode the FLAC files to WAV, import these into iTunes and encode to Apple Lossless. Its two steps, and you loose the tags. But its another option...

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 5
You can convert to ALAC, Apple Lossless Audio Codec, if you're using windows, the easiest program to do this with is db.poweramp. I'm not too sure of the options on OSX

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 5
If you are on OS X, there are two very good and free applications to convert FLAC (as well as almost any other format) into Apple Lossless (or almost any other format
smily_headphones1.gif

The first I recommend is called X Lossless Decoder.
The second is called xACT.

While there are others, those are the two best I've found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back