Question about balancing a Denon D5000
Feb 29, 2008 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dreadhead

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm looking at buying a pair of D5000s and balancing them but I was wondering if the stock cable has 4 conductors all the way to the plug or not. I know this may be a stupid question but I just thought I'd ask before spending that much coin and then having to spend more for a cable to cut up.

Thanks,
Chris

Mar 1, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 11
Mar 1, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 11
if you are going to do the "markl" mods, you do 2/3 of the work of re-cabling the d2k/d5k. even if you *just* want them balanced without the mods, taking them apart isnt too tough.

buy/build a different cable for 'em and put it in.

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chris...

Your answer can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3862805-post7.html

It's not easy to balance D5000 cable. The stock cable is very high quality and it would be shame to destroy it.

It's actually quite easy to re-terminate the D5000 cable with XLR's for balanced use; although there is quite a bit of various material around the cables, you can get to the actual wires quite easily with some careful cutting with a scissor.

IMO, the toughest part of re-terminating the D5000 is figuring out which wires go to which side. For that, I simply attached one XLR first, plugged it in and listened to hear which side sound was coming from. Detach the XLR, put appropriate heat-shrink over the wires, and then attach the XLR's.

But you are right SK138, this has been covered before
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 11
I have Bazile's Markl modded D5000 at hand now...matter of fact, enjoying it beyond words now
biggrin.gif
Markl sent it directly to me after his modding process for audition and also possibly reterminate it with 4pin XLR but I advised Bazile not to perform this operation until he gets acquainted with single ended sound first. Bazile has never heard it yet...not even in it's stock form. It was sent to Markl directly for modding since his purchase
wink.gif

It's a shame to mess with such high quality cable that's on D5000. I don't have the heart to cut it up. There, I said it
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's actually quite easy to re-terminate the D5000 cable with XLR's for balanced use; although there is quite a bit of various material around the cables, you can get to the actual wires quite easily with some careful cutting with a scissor.

IMO, the toughest part of re-terminating the D5000 is figuring out which wires go to which side. For that, I simply attached one XLR first, plugged it in and listened to hear which side sound was coming from. Detach the XLR, put appropriate heat-shrink over the wires, and then attach the XLR's.

But you are right SK138, this has been covered before
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 11
But it sounds even better balanced
wink.gif
I also plan on tinkering with my D5000's, possibly doing the markl mods also. But I have so many other projects going on at the moment that I don't have the time right now to do it. It's on my giant to-do list though! Have you heard the D5000's pre-mod? If so, how different does it sound?

I didn't realize how nice of a cable it was until I cut the plug off
redface.gif

Mar 1, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 11
Yes, I have heard the stock D5000 during meets. The Markl modded D5000 really transforms the sound to whole new level. Even if I was not into Head-Fi...one can clearly discern the difference between stock and Markl modded version of D5000. The bass heavy nature of stock D5000 is gone with the mod and brings back overall balance to the sonic spectrum especially with great treble extension, without being sibilant or harsh. The amount of detail is amazing. The modded D5000 does NOT sound closed at all. Matter of fact it's the most "open" sounding among any closed headphones I have owned in the past or heard...including W5000 and UE9. If I had to choose a closed headphone...this would be it. If you own D5000 and capable of performing this mod, you owe it to yourself to try this mod. It's worth it.

The only thing that I can't tolerate is the heat build up with any closed headphones...including D5000. I can only tolerate it for about 30min and I have to take it off to cool my ears. I guess I have sensitive ears
biggrin.gif
For this reason...I will stick with HD580 and HD650.

If you decide to chop up the stock D5000 cable, send me a little piece...I like to put it on my key chain for good luck
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it sounds even better balanced
wink.gif
I also plan on tinkering with my D5000's, possibly doing the markl mods also. But I have so many other projects going on at the moment that I don't have the time right now to do it. It's on my giant to-do list though! Have you heard the D5000's pre-mod? If so, how different does it sound?

I didn't realize how nice of a cable it was until I cut the plug off
redface.gif

Mar 1, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 11
Well I'm planning on turning my own D5000 cups, so I guess I could do the markl mods while I'm in there
tongue.gif

Now you have me curious about the markl modded d5k's, as I've been using my d5k's as the rock can, while I reach for the 650 when listening to tamer music.

As for the cable, I have long since re-terminated my D5k's, they lasted maybe a few days before I couldn't resist listening to them balanced
smily_headphones1.gif
If you do want a piece for good luck I think I could accommodate you, as I have a piece or two in my parts drawer
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info everyone! I ordered them so I'll find out soon enough how they sound balanced
smily_headphones1.gif

now i'm curious. amazon's price is pretty good...and having spent part of this afternoon recabling and balancing the k501, i'm in need of another project.

i saw that you finally got your gs-x, dreadhead...perhaps i'll wait for you to do the work and then get your impressions and advice later when i'm ready to do mine
wink.gif
let us know how it goes.

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now i'm curious. amazon's price is pretty good...and having spent part of this afternoon recabling and balancing the k501, i'm in need of another project.

yup, bought my d5000 also from amazon. at the time, they were offering the best price for the pair, as compared to ac, jr, bt and others. also got free ground shipping from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back