Question about balanced cables for desktop balanced amp
Jan 24, 2008 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Todd R

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi.
I'm awaiting the arrival of my Desktop Balanced amp (hurry up Ty!) and have a question about cables.

DIY time:
I'm going to re-terminate my HD-650's Cardas cable.
I've heard that the shield in the cable is NOT connected to the ground, pin #1 on the XLR. Is that information correct or not?

balancedamp.gif

Second question:
I have a pair of unshielded DIY 2 conductor cables that I'm going to use between the CD player and amp.

Can I install my XLR plugs and just use the existing 2 wires for + & -
OR
Do I need to add a 3rd wire to connect the #1 pins ground
OR
Do I need to slide a braided shield over my cable and connect both ends of that to the #1 ground pins?
TIA

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 4
Since a fair number of headphone cables are unshielded I'd say you could omit it and see if you have any interference issues.

But, looking at that diagram you have picture, it sure looks to me like the shield is connected to ground.

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since a fair number of headphone cables are unshielded I'd say you could omit it and see if you have any interference issues.

But, looking at that diagram you have picture, it sure looks to me like the shield is connected to ground.

I'm sure connecting it can only make things better, it's just extra work.

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure connecting it can only make things better, it's just extra work.

It's definitely more work, no doubt about that! And all I can say is that I've never had a problem with shielded vs. unshielded headphone cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back