Question about ATHW5000, HD650, and amp
Jun 5, 2007 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DSlayerZX

500+ Head-Fier
you can see it from my sig that I am currently running a HD650 by using stello HP100. Now I considering the following situation:

I use the HD650 for game, music, anime, movies, just almost any media that is related to my computer.

I love my HD650, but the fact that its open lets noise from out side gets in, I am currently living in a college dorm where most of the time is quiet (except Tuesday morning) but from what I know, the dorm I live in next year might get a bit noisy, and also, my new room mate also games, but with a speaker... so,... I need to find some way to block out the sounds.

I am now considering either the headphile wood mod which makes HD560 a half close phone with out changing too much of the original properties.

Or just get a close can instead
since my HD650 with the headphile mod would bring its cost to around 600 dollars.

My current choice for closed headphone is W5000 from my taste of music, (female vocal,JPop, instrument,piano, no rap, no rock, no metal) most of the people at andaudio recommend Audio Technica phones. If so, it is very possible that I will be grabbing a W5000 in the future since W5000 used will cost almost the same as my HD650...

But that brought up another concern... is the W5000 fit for gaming
confused.gif

Then I would like to start building a Beta22 somewhere in fall if I didn't change my mind. The amp would probably cost me around somewhere between 300-500 dollar. But in order to do that, I must sell my stello HP100 to gain the money, is it worth it?

Lets say, if the Beta22 is better or equal to the Stello HP100, which one would be a better fit to W5000?

so, what should I do?

I really can't decided right now, since almost every option will lead me to a similar cost. Can someone please help me, appreciate it
3000smile.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 3
i had the Headphile woodies for my HD-650 and they did very little to block outside sound. i also felt they hurt the performace of the headphones.

i also have the W5000 and they do have a bad reputation here for not blocking much outside sound, but i think they do fine. it wont block out your room mates music from speakers but it blocks computer noise and ambient fine. FWIW the W5000 is a very nice sounding headphone and given your music preference i think you would be very satisfied. they are good for gaming or whatever you wan to use them for, you wont be able to toss them around like a Sennheiser though, the wood will get damaged.

so basically i think the W5000 would be a better choice than modding the HD-650. Beyer DT770 is another obvious choice but i dont care much for the Beyer "house" sound.
wink.gif

i cant relly comment on the amps ive never heard either.

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 3
alright, thank you for your opinion.
I have decided that I will save some money and grab the W5000 if someone sells it or put onto trade in the future.

(finally made the decision because I suddenly realized how loud my computer really is after I moved back home from my college dorm)

I guess.. If I really want more bass with the phone, I will perform the fitz mod and see how things turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back