Question About Aquarium Catfish
Jul 15, 2007 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
I was thinking to buy one of those teeny weeny catfish from petshop (around 2-3cm long) to put in my vase (with water plants), but just wondering, do we really need heater for it?

I asked the guy from the shop he said we need heater for the aquarium or else the fish will die, but the vase is only around 15cm in diagonal, and it's indoor.
The room temperature in winter here I think is no lower than 20 degree celcius.

I don' t think I wanna put a heater inside a vase, but do you think we even really need heater for such a small vase? The fish is cheap, but I just don't wanna experiment and kill the poor fish. Any thoughts? If it's okay not to put heater, I'm gonna buy one (or maybe 2 if they are social fish, but as far as I know, these catfish aren't?)

PS: the fish looks like this but much smaller
bristlenose_pleco.jpg

Jul 15, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 18
That's a bristlenose catfish. It's a warm water fish and needs water about 25 - 27 degrees celcius. At temperatures below this is will be very slow and prone to disease.

My opinion - don't bother. It will die. If you want fish buy an aquarium.

Jul 15, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #6 of 18
Damn... maybe I should get one of those little aquarium thing. But then the heater isnt that cheap too. or is there any other little fish that is highly tolerant to water temp change ?

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #8 of 18
I don't know if that is technically a catfish. Those kind of fish, generally called "algae-eaters", are plecos, and there a whole seperate group of fish, but they may be related to catfish, who knows. If it's just one of the regular brown ones you get at any fish store, than yea, he might be OK for awhile. But you really shouldn't put a fish in a vase just because it looks cool. With aquariums you need to change out the water every so often (once a week usually) to take out dirty water, and replace it with clean water. Most likely what will happen in such a small space is a) he will starve or b) if you feed him, waste will build up and kill him very quickly in such a small amount of water. Just get an aquarium. You can get a 10 gallon for $10 at Wal-Mart, but I warn you, fish keeping can be very addicting. I already have a 75, 55, and 2 30 gallons, and would have more if I didn't live in a tiny apartment.
biggrin.gif

If anything, get a guppy, or a tetra, something very small. They are pretty hardy and will be fine in cold water.

Jul 15, 2007 at 11:23 AM Post #9 of 18
^^ I agree. You'll need to be changing water all the time, with either water that you have left out for 3-4 days to de-chloronate [sp?] or injected with Genesis drops/etc. The drops would probably not be beneficial to the plants. Then the heat issue. On top of the fish's heat requirements, you have the plants's preferred temperatue which may be different. If you really want a fish for the plants, I would say go with a Beta. They don't need hardly any space, and can be stored at room temperature. They would also make a good visual match, imho. They are very elegant looking. Far prettier than catfish. I think they are also like 1 dollar, lol.

edit* If you do go with Beta, ONLY ONE IN TANK, unless you wanna see some fish-deathmatch.

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #10 of 18
The thing is I am kinda sick with Beta already, I kept a lot of them when I was a kid. And they are a bit boring, sort of do nothing whereas catfish (or plecos?) is more active and cute. Other factor is plecos can last a long time, I like fish that can live long not like guppies.

Maybe I will settle with a little aquarium, something around 50L size with built-in hood and light on top. Im thinking to buy water plants but I think they are hard to maintain, cant be sort of plant-and-leave-it right?

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 18
Be sure to study better than we did!

We bought a Chinese algae Eater for our 30 gal tank and he/she was cool while young, but has grown into a major, major bully and is constantly battering everybody else!

Dang thing is quick! We'd love to get it out of the tank but are having no luck at all in catching it without traumatizing all its' poor tank mates....er, victims."
frown.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 18
With tropical fish, it's best to read and read and read before making an impulse purchase. I highly recommend wetwebmedia.com to learn about tropical fish. The pet store sales people are complete ******* and are only interested in selling you a fish. If you decide to keep tropical fish, do it right and spend the money.

Jul 15, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be sure to study better than we did!

We bought a Chinese algae Eater for our 30 gal tank and he/she was cool while young, but has grown into a major, major bully and is constantly battering everybody else!

Dang thing is quick! We'd love to get it out of the tank but are having no luck at all in catching it without traumatizing all its' poor tank mates....er, victims."
frown.gif

That fish will quickly outgrow your 30 gallon tank. You'll have to either give it up or buy a larger tank. If you don't, it will eventually be the last fish left and then if you don't keep up with your water changes and buy a larger tank, it will eventually die.

Jul 15, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That fish will quickly outgrow your 30 gallon tank. You'll have to either give it up or buy a larger tank. If you don't, it will eventually be the last fish left and then if you don't keep up with your water changes and buy a larger tank, it will eventually die.

Yup; we had to do the difficult thing and take out my Wifes favorite little....uh, BIG, and getting BIGGER, fish for the betterment of the finny little community.

It was as much stress on ME as it was on the fish! Bummer.
frown.gif

....now I have to try to get her aquarium back the way it was before I ripped out each and every piece of every hiding place there was.

Another bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back