Question about amps and the power they supply
Jan 1, 2009 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Vandal

500+ Head-Fier
Maybe this is because I am not an electronics student but I was looking up Little Dots website and have the following query.

What is the significance of the power output spec. of an amp at a particular impedance?

For example - the LD MK V has a spec of 500mW @ 32 ohms and 187 mW @ 300 ohms. The LD MK IV SE has a similar spec. But the MK VI has a spec of 5W @ 120 ohms. That's a whopping amount of power more. Does that mean that the MK 6 will drive any headphone proportionately better?

Do I select an amp based on this power spec? I have headphones that are rated at 32 ohms and 300 ohms; I plan on getting another rated at 62 ohms (no prizes, its the K702); so what importance does this spec play.

And can someone please educate me a bit about this; because although I love great sounding music; I'm a technical newbie.

Thanks!

Jan 1, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 5
The MK6 is a big amp with lots of tubes. The MK5 is a small solid state amp.

You don't choose an amp just based on power, it's all about what sort of sound you're looking for, features, and what your budget is. Larger, more expensive amps often deliver either more power, a higher quality set of parts, or both - and offer more control over your headphones. Power is important, especially for thirsty headphones like the HD650.

Can't really compare the 5 and the 6 though, they're so different. The numbers mean fairly little, but the MK6 is a premium priced amp and from what I've heard, is a great performer.

Jan 1, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 5
^See you've answered me but not quite. I know the MK 6 supplies more power and is built with better quality components; that's obvious given the price tag. But what relation does power have to driving the headphones, and how much power is enough?

I know the differences in sound quality that come with spending more; but I want a more mathematical answer (for lack of a better word). I mean; is the increase in power supplied quantifiable in terms of volume or quality?

Jan 1, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 5
Power = VI

V = IR

Power = I^2 * R

Power is directly related to voltage and current. Voltage and current also has a direct relationship to resistance. The resistance, in this case, is the headphone load + the output impedance of the amplifier (whatever that is).

Given the different load points you can thus determine the maximum voltage swing at the load and the maximum current into the load.

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Power = VI

V = IR

Power = I^2 * R

Power is directly related to voltage and current. Voltage and current also has a direct relationship to resistance. The resistance, in this case, is the headphone load + the output impedance of the amplifier (whatever that is).

Given the different load points you can thus determine the maximum voltage swing at the load and the maximum current into the load.

Thanks. That clears up the air some more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back