Question about AKG K701...
May 16, 2007 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Sieg9198

100+ Head-Fier
I heard alot of people saying that K701 has a much bigger soundstage. Will the vocals sound like really distant or hollow with it??
blink.gif

And what is the best possible amp(preferably portable)under $350 for the K701??
plainface.gif

May 16, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 17
if you can hit $400, my Heed and 701s have been in love for a long time. Sorry, didn't see the portable. The Heed is a desktop. Check Ray Samuels for portables (Hornet etc). He makes great stuff and is a great guy

May 16, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard alot of people saying that K701 has a much bigger soundstage. Will the vocals sound like really distant or hollow with it??
blink.gif

And what is the best possible amp(preferably portable)under $350 for the K701??
plainface.gif

701s don't have 'hollow" or "distant" vocals. With normal recordings vocals sound very good. Some other phones, like my as yet unmodded 580s, make vocals sound like they're inside the earcup, while the 701s back them up a few feet, which I find much more realistic, because people can't fit in an earcup. If it's a classical or opera recording where the mics are very far from the vocalist, the 701s make the vocalist sound distant, but that's a good thing.

May 16, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 17
I can assure you that is no hollow sound with these headphones, even unamped.

In fact, it's unlikely you'll find the hollow sound an any mid-priced, open phones. I have heard something like that in inferior closed phones. Moreover, the DT880 has a "distanced" sound, but it's hardly hollow.

May 16, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
701s don't have 'hollow" or "distant" vocals. With normal recordings vocals sound very good. Some other phones, like my as yet unmodded 580s, make vocals sound like they're inside the earcup, while the 701s back them up a few feet, which I find much more realistic, because people can't fit in an earcup. If it's a classical or opera recording where the mics are very far from the vocalist, the 701s make the vocalist sound distant, but that's a good thing.

icon10.gif
oooh, back up a few feet, me like that!!!
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 17
It has a very "airy" sound and large soundstage, but definately not hollow or distant.

May 16, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The (M) Hornet was a nice match with my K701s, for the record, although I hope to God you don't plan on using the 701 portably...

tongue.gif
Dont worry, I'm not that crazy.
wink.gif

I just want to be able to unplug it easily and use it with my e4g.
cool.gif

May 16, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 17
I like the Headroom Micro Amp with the 701's, portable, gain adjustsable, and crossfeed...

May 16, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after your wallet returns from the hospital, have your 701s recabled and the additional bass and warmth plus increased soundstage will make you happy

By then my wallet will go straight to the graveyard.
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by HearMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the Headroom Micro Amp with the 701's, portable, gain adjustsable, and crossfeed...

Same here. Keep the gain setting at low. You can't go wrong with this pairing. (But I haven't experienced the K701 with other portable amps. I'm just a sucker for that crossfeed circuitry.
eggosmile.gif
)

May 16, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 17
x3 for the Micro Amp and K701s. Naturally, the better your source the better the headphones will be, but the 701s are kind to any reasonable quality.

The custom Headroom bag for the Micro Amp and player is slick as well. Makes shuttling the Micro to work and back much easier without having to unpack at either end. I'm all about lazy.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back