Question about A-T A500
Dec 8, 2006 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Blackjaw

New Head-Fier
How well do the Audio-Technica A500/A700s isolate you from outside sounds? Can you still hear a phone ringing? A baby monitor located in another room? Someone knocking at the door? Wife asking you a silly question about how many beers did you drink? Cat scratching furniture?

Sorry if the question seems dumb. I need to be able to hear my environment just a bit, but not as well as open headphones allow. The comments on the AD500/AD700s seem to make it less of a performer than the closed series. I will mainly be using these for FPS gaming. Considering the Sennheiser HD555s as an alternative choice.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 8, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 9
If you are gonna be gaming, then you probably wud hear all of those except maybe the cat scratching sound.

Play some loud music, u prolly wont hear most of it. I use the A700s at work, when I listen to some loud metal, I cannot hear the phone ringing rite next to me.

But if you really dont want a closed can, go for the 555 or 595,
A700's biggest plus IMO is that it is closed.

Dec 9, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks. I would prefer a closed pair, especially since the A500/A700 sound better that way compared to the AD series. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely isolating myself. I figured music would drown out the outside world, especially metal. My coworkers hate my music. But since I will mainly be gaming with these, I think I don't have anything to worry about.

Dec 11, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 9
I own A700's and these things are really good for isolation. My computer is right next to me running with 6 fans (4x 80mm, 1x 120mm, 1x HS) and I can barely hear them without playing any music. When I turn on my amp and play listen to some songs, I can't hear them at all. When people call me, I usually think I hear a sound so I have to take them off and see if someone's really calling me.

These things are huge and clamp on tight enough to block almost most ambient noise. You won't be unsatisfied with them
3000smile.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 9
From what I've gathered from numerous threads and research, the AXXX has the good bass as a result of isolation. The ADXXX on the other hand, being an open can, does have reduced bass, but better mids in the respect that they are not as recessed as they are purported to be on the AXXX. The bass on the ADXXX, while reduced, is also supposed to be a bit more accurate than the AXXX.

Hope that helps!

Dec 11, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackjaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How well do the Audio-Technica A500/A700s isolate you from outside sounds? Can you still hear a phone ringing? A baby monitor located in another room? Someone knocking at the door? Wife asking you a silly question about how many beers did you drink? Cat scratching furniture?

Sorry if the question seems dumb. I need to be able to hear my environment just a bit, but not as well as open headphones allow. The comments on the AD500/AD700s seem to make it less of a performer than the closed series. I will mainly be using these for FPS gaming. Considering the Sennheiser HD555s as an alternative choice.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, the A500 is completely closed and it would be difficult to hear soft ring tone if you're watching a movie or gaming in a pretty loud level. The HD555, on the other hand, is "open," although i'd say it's semi-open. Do you have sweaty ears? I got the A500 and due to its leatherette padding, my ears got very sweaty and uncomfortable after around an hour of use. The HD555, on the other hand, has velour padding and ive never had problem with that fabric. So it's your call, but i'd recommend the HD555 even if it means sacrificing the deep bass.

Dec 12, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #9 of 9
Deep bass doesn't really concern me. I actually have been looking at the AD700 (I know, I contradicted my earlier statement). I think that is the forerunner right now. I read a glowing review of it from some mate down in Austrailia. Others appear to like it too. Said it has a nice soundstage, which I could really use in gaming. Not sure about the AD500, anyone know how these sound compared to the AD700?

I think the Senns might have been eliminated...might have. The isolation factor of the AXXXs series worries me, I need to be able to hear my environment, mainly my little girls when they are sleeping. I think the ADXXXs are the right series for me.

I research the things I buy to death. Don't have much money, so when I spend it, I want it to be truly worthwhile. Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back