Question about 1/8 to 1/4 adapter
Oct 21, 2009 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

abellaw

100+ Head-Fier
I am planning on getting a new amp with a 1/4 headphone jack. But i have some headphones that are terminated in a mini (1/8). I was wondering is there any way to get like an adapter with a cable such as the grado 1/4 to 1/8 adapter.

I have the more common snap on or screw on adapter. But the alo termination of my 780s is big and i am worried it could put stress on the headphone out of the amp.

Or am i just worrying about nothing. Thanks for any and all help!!

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 5
big terminations can put stress on poor quality jacks, though headphone amps typically do not qualify but you can't be too careful. I think you're all right, typically the connection is super solid out of any amp. all I know is that I ****ed up the headphone jack in my phone with a large 1/4 -> 1/8th adapter putting stress on the jack, though phones are not designed with headphones with heavy plugs in mind in any way.

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 5
You can get cabled adapters. I have a 6" one that was made with switchcraft/neutrik plugs and nucleotide wire by another head-fier. Cost is more than with a standard adapter, but this one stays in my amp all the time and there is zero stress on the jack.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 5
Going from the 1/8"to 1/4" adapter I would not worry too much about the stress you place on the 1/4" socket. The plug is pretty long and the socket is much stronger than a 1/8" one that you should be just fine. The 1/8" to 1/4" adapter tends to be pretty compact with most of the 1/8" plug inside the 1/4" adapter.

Now the reverse is not true, 1/4" to 1/8". That makes for a very large lever arm on a very small socket and would cause a good bit of stress. Which is why the cabled adapter is a good idea.

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 5
Oh i think i see what you are saying. Well i go without one and if everything is fine then i will have no problem. If not then i will have to hit up kb1gra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back