Quest to a new (audiophile) setup
Dec 30, 2012 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

KriLi

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Quest: portable audio for long flights and journey's to ski resorts by car. Also for listening music at home.

Current gear: sennheiser hd595, Sony nwz a639f, mp3 files and creative ep630 (broken since a few days)

I always used my hd595 on the pc for watching movies/listening music and the ep630 for listening music on the go.

I never tried any other headphones besides the 595 but I like the sound it produces. What I'm looking for is a new pair of closed portable headphone(over- or on-ear) or in-ear monitors for those trips I mentioned. I'm biased towards headphones. Searching throughout this forum I think the Beyerdynamic DT 1350 is a safe choice for portability/comfort. The music I mainly listen to varies from all kinds of rock to pop to dance and dnb.

It is nessecary to switch from mp3 to flac? And so a new dap with an amp to get far superior sound out of those headphones?
I can use all the feedback because I'm a newbie to audiophile gear.

I'm willing to spend a maximum of €1000 (~ $1300) for a new setup (headphones+dap+amp). Or saving a little more if necessary to buy the "right" setup.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 15
Well, I've never had the cash for that kind of a rig, but I would think that FLAC is absolutely required. I hate listening to anything under 256, and prefer 320 kbps on my rig, which currently totals about $175. Also, an amp is the way to go, for that level. If you are looking for a budget PMP, the Sansa Clip line is really cheap (<$50) and has a microSD card slot. Cowon makes some nicer ones with microSD for around $200.

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 15
After reading some more I think of buying the following setup:

Colorfly C3 -> Fiio E17 -> Beyerdynamic DT 1350, good choice?

And what about a good LOD cable, does it make a big difference or should I choose for a Fiio L2 or L8?

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 15
After reading some more I think of buying the following setup:

Colorfly C3 -> Fiio E17 -> Beyerdynamic DT 1350, good choice?

And what about a good LOD cable, does it make a big difference or should I choose for a Fiio L2 or L8?

Nice choice on the Colorfly C3 I own one and you won't be disapointed. it amps especially well because the signal is so clean. L8 would be the better option because of the L shapped jacks, though here's a nice interconnect I used.

Much thicker meater cable, a fuller sound, better range of frequency's , and cheaper

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281044134669?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 15

Yes, it looks nice, that cable is pure copper, you could also consider silver plated or pure silver cable.

Personally C3 does lean towards a colder signature than neutral, E17 would add some nice warmth balancing that out.

Probably a silver plated copper cable would be suited.

This ones silver plated and you can specify the length you want custom made.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261025426734?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_3361wt_1042

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 15
If you do an E17, make sure to use the DAC as well. That means you need a digital output, rather than analog (LOD is analog) I don't know how to get a digital out on a Colorfly C3. On a jailbroken iPhone or iPod touch, you can use a Cydia app, and an Apple CCK.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Can you explane to me what the basic function of a DAC is?
I thought that the DAC is used when connected to a desktop/laptop as soundcard.

DAC stands for Digital to Analog Converter.  The use of the DAC is to turn the digital stream of audio (normally boils down to 0's and 1's) and turn them into a analog stream (an analog wave).  In most cases, for headphones, this wave is electronically transmitted by turning on and off power by a certain amount to reproduce the wave.  Obviously, the science may go deeper than that.  This is the general idea of the DAC though.  The electronically transmitted wave is actually done through a headphone jack.  So the DAC really is an entire system.  The soundcard would be part of the DAC (as it would do the converting if I'm not mistaken).  

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Can you explane to me what the basic function of a DAC is?
I thought that the DAC is used when connected to a desktop/laptop as soundcard.

Pretty much what tinyman said. All devices had one, but external DACs are better quality. More clarity, etc. Better production of the analog wave.

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation.

So should I best buy an amp for portable use and an extra separate DAC for when using at home on a pc?

You could. Or get a DAC/amp like a FiiO E7/E17 and use as a DAC at home and an amp on the go. Whats your source- may be able to use as DAC on the go as well.

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation.

So should I best buy an amp for portable use and an extra separate DAC for when using at home on a pc?

It depends on what PC you have and what kind of DAC is inside of it.  Some PCs do have decent audio, while others lag behind.  Same goes for the portables.  Although most MP3 players should be fine concerning the DAC.  If you find your MP3 player isn't strong enough, it may be wise to invest in an amp to power some headphones.  Most IEMs and portable headphones should do fine being powered by an MP3 player or laptop though.  

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 15
Is it a better decision to spend more on a player with an internal DAC?
With my budget I could buy the DT 1350 along with an Iriver Astell & Kern AK 100.
Should it have problems driving an 80ohm headphone?

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
Is it a better decision to spend more on a player with an internal DAC?
With my budget I could buy the DT 1350 along with an Iriver Astell & Kern AK 100.
Should it have problems driving an 80ohm headphone?

Again, its about internal DAC quality, all devices have a DAC. The DAC in that one ( Wolfson 8740) looks awesome, though. Shoulden't have a problem at 80 ohm with such a high end DAP, never tried it myself though, so I can't say for sure. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back