Quest for used R2R ladder DACs
Dec 5, 2015 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Nu3nO

New Head-Fier
Salute HFiers,

I've been frequenting the forums for about a year already but just joined as a member. I've been able to build up my music hobby since I returned to a full time job a few years ago. I am currently looking for a used multibit DAC, the d1-dual DAC by totaldac or the Analog DAC by MSB in particular, I have time & patience so there is no rush. I hope, really hope that I will be able find one that is of reasonable price which I can justify spending.

Today I stumbled upon the legendary vintage Theta DS Pro Basic 3 at a used HiFi shop & I am thinking, should I spend to try it or save the money for my wish list. I've not heard it sing before, I'm not sure so I wish to ask for thoughts and experience of those of you who have had it or still have it. The face plate & overall condition is almost new, listed price is 13k Hong Kong dollars, around USD1.7k. Unfortunately, my new account does not allow me to post pictures.

I came across Sumo from Jason's Schiit thread & what a surprise, it's my first time seeing Sumo Athena 2 preamp & Andromeda 2 mosfet balanced power amp in the shop as well.

Thanks.

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 3
  Salute HFiers,

I've been frequenting the forums for about a year already but just joined as a member. I've been able to build up my music hobby since I returned to a full time job a few years ago. I am currently looking for a used multibit DAC, the d1-dual DAC by totaldac or the Analog DAC by MSB in particular, I have time & patience so there is no rush. I hope, really hope that I will be able find one that is of reasonable price which I can justify spending.

Today I stumbled upon the legendary vintage Theta DS Pro Basic 3 at a used HiFi shop & I am thinking, should I spend to try it or save the money for my wish list. I've not heard it sing before, I'm not sure so I wish to ask for thoughts and experience of those of you who have had it or still have it. The face plate & overall condition is almost new, listed price is 13k Hong Kong dollars, around USD1.7k. Unfortunately, my new account does not allow me to post pictures.

I came across Sumo from Jason's Schiit thread & what a surprise, it's my first time seeing Sumo Athena 2 preamp & Andromeda 2 mosfet balanced power amp in the shop as well.

Thanks.

To be honest $1,700 is way too much for a used DS Pro Basic III. Even if it was in perfect condition, the most it should fetch is around $500-600. Now if it were a DS Pro Gen V, it would be more believable to sell it for upwards of $1500 based on condition. I bought my Theta DS Pro Progeny v. A for $276 and free shipping. Just keep hunting and you can find one for a decent price. They're definitely worth buying and their sound is pretty immaculate without any signs of etched glare or digititus like many newer DACs

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #3 of 3

To be honest $1,700 is way too much for a used DS Pro Basic III. 

I bought my Theta DS Pro Progeny v. A for $276 and free shipping.

..sound is pretty immaculate without any signs of etched glare or digititus..

I agree with you on the price, I found a same model in black on eBay asking for $350. I think you've got a very sweet deal for your DS Pro Gen V & nice to know the baseline price. Also, looking at the high prices for used totaldac & analog dac, these are out of reach for me.

Cheers & I appreciate your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back