Quest for the Ideal Headphone! Thoughts and recomendations please.
Apr 20, 2009 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

branko

New Head-Fier
Looking for a new pair of ideal cans for my sort of use, but its just so so soooo hard.
I've searched, searched and then done some more searching too, and only getting more confused and running around in circles.
confused_face_2.gif

Hope i use the right terms and here I have a go at explaining what i want.

Overall, looking for wow factor, exciting fun & little forgiving so you can emerse and enjoy whatever you are listening to and forget about picking on headphones or the source while getting best sound possible.
k701smile.gif

sound: very musical, rich, lush, dynamic, warmish crisp sound thats detailed while not too analytical
highs: a bit bright - lots of trebble, crisp, sparkly even a touch sharp is how i like them
lows: lots of deep, tight and punchy bass that it slighly airy (not overly bass heavy but lots of strong bass when needed)
mids: slightly recessed ok, but need to be smooth - im a sucker for female vocals
wink.gif

Build: 3.5mm plug, durable and robust, not too heavy preferably, comfy, think i prefer open can sound
Budget: value is most important, prefer to spend around $150 but may go over $300 for the right cans

Sources - lets face it, they will be mostly portable sources (ipod, nokia music xpress phone, iphone) and Macbook Pro 192kbp+ mp3s and movies, so not great quality so has to sound good without an amp (amp, maybe DAC and better sources might be an optional extra later, and be used on occasion so but must sound good without this!!).
Music type: electronica 60% (house electro/funky/vocal, dance, some pop stuff), lounge/instrumental/ambient 30%, rock 10%

Owned:
DT770/80 - dark, muddy, bass overpowering everything - didnt like much
HD595 50ohm- bright, good soundstage but unexciting, too natural i think, lack of bass and sparkly highs - OK-ish, nice but not wow
HD497 - cheap, robust, muddy, ok bass, ok highs, not much detail and not great at anything in particular but kind of engaging, exciting, musical and fun. i like this and used these the most even tho they are the crappiest
CX300 - cheap, fair amount of unsophisticated bass not tight or punchy enough, ok highs, exciting and musical. overall pretty awesome esp for price
Klipsch Image X10 - buying these now, should be here in a few days
tongue_smile.gif

Possible can choices i read about?
ATH-M50
ATH-AD900
D1001k
D2000
K271 MKII
???
confused_face_2.gif
confused.gif

Can you please enlighten me with a good recomendation?

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 19
I see I enjoy similar music that you do, lots of electronica with female vocals, trance, etc. and I went the route of the Denon D2k's. I'm not sure how wowing they are going to be unamped off of a portable DAP but they certainly fit the bill for what you are looking for. They are also a set of cans that can be modded in various ways so you can grow into a high end headphone. Instead of jumping from can to can, I just kept putting more money into my Denon's and I am 100% thrilled with end result and would go the same route if I started over today. Chalk up a vote for the Denon's.

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 19
female vocals, warmish yet detailed, very musical, rich, lush, dynamic, yet sounds good without an amp: Audio Technica is what you need.

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
female vocals, warmish yet detailed, very musical, rich, lush, dynamic, yet sounds good without an amp: Audio Technica is what you need.

any particular model in mind?

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by branko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any particular model in mind?

That depends on your budget. The ad2000s are incredible
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Personally I liked the ad900 very much (and that one should be within your budget).

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 19
Seems like you're describing Grado SR225s, if your budget is to be followed. A bit more expensive (and warmer!) are the 325is, which are known for their astounding highs but which also have great mids and a punchy bass as well.

I will agree with olblueeyes as well, the HD650s (which can be found new for quite cheap right now) do amazingly well with both electronic music and female vocals, but aren't anywhere near as bright as the Grados I suggested.

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like you're describing Grado SR225s, if your budget is to be followed. A bit more expensive (and warmer!) are the 325is, which are known for their astounding highs but which also have great mids and a punchy bass as well.

I will agree with olblueeyes as well, the HD650s (which can be found new for quite cheap right now) do amazingly well with both electronic music and female vocals, but aren't anywhere near as bright as the Grados I suggested.

isnt the bass on these quite lacking?

Apr 20, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by branko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
isnt the bass on these quite lacking?

Compared to "basshead" cans, perhaps, but for me they are more than enough, in particular with trance.

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #12 of 19
The description of the headphone you're looking for just screams Audio-Technica ATH-AD900. It's so good! It doesn't have recessed mids at all (even slightly coloured mids, to be honest), so it's extremely well suited for (female) vocal music. It also has really good, deep and even detailed bass reproduction. Not very punchy, though. Highs are excellent as well. Their FR stretches from 5 all the way to 35.000 Hertz. They have a very, very lush and fairly warm sound.

Trust me... they'll do precisely what you want. Also, they're extremely easy to drive, meaning that you can easily drive them with an iPod or something similar.

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #15 of 19
The problem is that your requirements contradict themselves. For example, you want bass that is "deep and punchy, but airy", an overall sound that is "warmish but bright", midrange that is "slightly dipped but upfront", etc.
My impression is that you haven't really figured out what you want yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back