Quest for Good Bass: D7000, MDR-Z7 or Alpha Dogs?
Mar 24, 2015 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

PanpandaChan

100+ Head-Fier
So I recently decided that I want better headphones at work. I've been using Sony XB500 and XB950BT mainly at work.

I found the XB500s to be too heavy on bass. The XB950BTs are a bit better, but I bought these mainly for portable use. Before these, I used my AIAIAI TMA-1 for portable and work use.

I have the AKG 702 Annies at home, which aren't bass headphones but I still like them for the detail and they come in handy for gaming as well.

Right now at work I have a Modi + Bravo amp with a Raytheon long black plate tube.

I'm looking for a good pair of closed cans with a "fun" or at least slightly emphasized bass signature. Which lead me to my three current options:

Denon AH-D7000 ($700-900): These seem legendary around here and there are at least two listings right now on these forums. They're also expensive and probably the max I would spend. Here I'm mainly concerned about sound leakage, but reviews I've read said they really leak more IN than OUT. Looking around the forums, these still seem to be king if one is looking for a fun sound signature.

Sony MDR-Z7 ($400-500): These seem to be the current flagship bargain. One listing on the forums has these at $400 and B&H has them new for $510 right now. I've seen people compare these to the D7000s but it appears a lot of people have mixed feelings about them. Am I right to understand that these have a similar fun sound sound signature as the D7000, but less detail in the mids/highs and a smaller soundstage?

Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs ($500-600): Another legendary headphone around here that have been seen as the best bang for your buck for a while. I originally assumed they also had a fun sound signature or could be adjusted so due to the screw adjustment, but I've since learned that the screw is really meant for tuning during production and shouldn't be touched by amateurs such as myself. I've also read posts saying these are more "analytic" feeling compared to the D7000s. So I think this might be eliminated as a choice for me, but damn I love how they look and the matching stand is a plus.

So again, I drive these with a basic setup at work, and my main source of music is Spotify Premium. Is it worth my money to go for the Denons? Or should I save some money and go for either the Z7 or Alpha Dogs?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 3
D7000 out of those. The bass is beautiful! I like the Alphas as a cheaper alternative. I think the D7000 is the overall better more refined headphone. The Alphas are good sounding but at the end of the day it's a mod from a headphone that cost a lot less! Hard to justify.

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 3
I auditioned the Alpha Dogs and own the other two.  Denon is what I always reach for.................always. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back