Query about Grado sr60i/sr80i music 'leakage'
Oct 24, 2009 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ObeyurMaster

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys...

I m planning to get my first grado phones and i have my target on the entry level models sr60i and sr80i. The only problem is I listen to heavy metal a lot while traveling in a bus with people sitting next to me. Do these headphones leak music a lot? I mean will they annoy/distract people sitting next to me?

This is the only thing stopping me from getting one of these. Or should i go for the portable iGrado which is a little better at preventing leakage?

Thanks in adv guys.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 11
Have you got a pair of closed headphones lying around?
Flex the headband so the L/R channels are free from eachother.
Thats about as much as it will leak IME

edit: More importantly, they wont stop a lot of sound from getting in. Trains are loud and you will either be annoyed or turn the grados up to deafenning levels. I would suggest looking at getting a pair of closed headphones or canalphones

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ObeyurMaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys...

I m planning to get my first grado phones and i have my target on the entry level models sr60i and sr80i. The only problem is I listen to heavy metal a lot while traveling in a bus with people sitting next to me. Do these headphones leak music a lot? I mean will they annoy/distract people sitting next to me?

This is the only thing stopping me from getting one of these. Or should i go for the portable iGrado which is a little better at preventing leakage?

Thanks in adv guys.

Open is open is open. You're not going to avoid leakage with any of the Grado line. However, on the bus, this is probably not a big deal, because you're on a big, fat, noisy bus.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 11
Wow that was quick..thanks guys.

I don't want to go for circum aural/closed phones as its quite hot here in India and it gets quite uncomfortable after some time. I tried Senn HD202 for some time (15-20 mins) and i felt like my ears were in some oven :).

Also Ive read several times that grado phones suit rock/metal music and that's all i listen to. That is the reason i want to go with grado.

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 11
Your music will be clearly audible to the passenger next to you, but not loud enough to bother him. Go ahead and give the Grados a shot, as long as you are OK with the ambient noise leaking in.

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 11
There are two issues with them. Just now I similated my HF-2 on a head (pillow) playing at moderate/loud volume. The music is CLEARLY audible at 10 feet. The other issue is since music leaks out, outside noise leaks in just as easily and you'll need to play music at a loud volume to compensate.

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nilanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your music will be clearly audible to the passenger next to you, but not loud enough to bother him. Go ahead and give the Grados a shot, as long as you are OK with the ambient noise leaking in.

it will surely be loud enough to annoy people within 3-5m. i had once a fight with a fellow headphone-phile, cause he wouldn't turn the damn things down in the bus

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 11
I'll have to agree with most of the people here. You'll be astonished at how little the headphone blocks out noise as well as how clearly, not only the passenger sitting next to you but, all the passengers around you will be able to hear your music. Under your circumstances, a pair of Grado's would not be the way to go. Trust me, I found out the hard way during a 5 hour flight.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 11
Agreed. The biggest problem you are going to have on a bus with Grados is the external noise coming IN, forcing you to turn up your phones, thereby annoing your neighbors who will hear racket from your Grados. AND, I'm not sure how anyone considers them portable -- I consider them home phones exclusively.

Buy yourself a decent IEM -- AT CK7 or Klipsch S4 or NuForce NE-6, or even a Sony mid-level MDR IEM. That will solve several issues by isolating you and the music almost completely from the world around you. Keep your eyes up and open, tho -- it will save you from being killed walking across the street when you don't hear any car horns!

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 11
I will add to the sound leak issue for both you and other passengers and say they are not suitable.

However for home use with rock they are spot on. I would definitely go for the SR80s over the SR60s. I auditioned both and found the 80s better at everything. I dont understand why the 60s, which are not that much cheaper if you shop around, keep getting awards. The 80s make the 60s sound dull and flat and blow them away IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back