Queries on RockBox for iPod Nano 1st Gen
Jan 6, 2017 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AkashS04

500+ Head-Fier
Hi Friends,

I am using iPod Nano 1st Gen 4 GB. Actually, I had same 2 GB iPod which I foolishly exchanged under iPod Replacement Program and got 7th Gen which was not sounding good hence I bought this (used one) again recently. However, I noticed one thing, though there seems to be no issue with iPod, I am feeling some less Bass and Punch. Not sure if the reason is that I am using PowerAmp for some time and it has huge Punch and Bass and Boom.  Or may be if I continue to listen to some time, it will be comfortable. PowerAmp has huge Boomy Bass and Punch but sometime it distorted slightly or lacks details actually.

I heard a lot about Rockbox. Is it really good and if I install it on my iPod, will it allow me to give more Punchy, Boomy and Bassy sound with good clarity but no harshness? Something similar to PowerAmp? I noticed that it has configuration option such as Stereo Width, setting for Bass and Treble and big number of Pre Set Equalisers? Can anyone pls suggest what is Rockbox exactly? Also, in case if I don't like that, can I revert my iPod to original Apple Firmware in case if it makes iPod worse than original? Pls suggest.

Though some old threads, it seems that Rockbox will literally kill the Battery life of Nano 1st Gen. However, that threat was of 2005-2006 so I am not sure if it has changed in the latest version of Rockbox. Is anyone using Rockbox latest version on Nano 1st Gen and getting good 10-11 Hours battery? Pls suggest.

Just to let you know, I listen to only MP3 Files s not sure if using MP3 or Lossless will make any difference in Battery life of Nano 1st Gen.

Regards,
Akash

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 3
The table on the official rockbox site says that ipod nano 1gen port is stable: 
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodPort
So everything must work fine.
I think there must be some progress in rockbox port for ipod nano 1gen since 2005-2006 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back