Queries for PS2 Users
Sep 10, 2001 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rajan

100+ Head-Fier
I have several queries for Vertigo-1, reynman, and other PS2 users.

1. is the video reproduction of dvd movies comparable with stand alone dvd players

2. is there a digital out which you can connect to a/v (5.1) receiver

3. are there analog outs for a two channel sound reproduction

4. how would you characterize the sound using a dvd disc and a cd disc played on the PS2 console compared with a dvd player and a cd player

regards to all.

Sep 10, 2001 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by rajan
I have several queries for Vertigo-1, reynman, and other PS2 users.

1. is the video reproduction of dvd movies comparable with stand alone dvd players

2. is there a digital out which you can connect to a/v (5.1) receiver

3. are there analog outs for a two channel sound reproduction

4. how would you characterize the sound using a dvd disc and a cd disc played on the PS2 console compared with a dvd player and a cd player

1. I don't have much experience with DVD players, but I would say the picture is good enough. It's DVD, it's smokes a VHS tape...I'm not even sure how you go about comparing DVD players, but the PS2 is as good as any typical DVD player. Now I've heard people say before that the PS2 actually isn't *that* good of a DVD player (an argument against those that bought a PS2 for it's DVD capabilities), but I bought a PS2 as a gaming system...the fact that it doubles as a DVD player (and that, being a console, there's bound to be ways to get around software restrictions on it, like regional DVDs
wink.gif
) is just icing on the cake.

2. Yep, it has a digital optical out.

3. Yep, it has analog RCA outs.

4. I haven't personally heard the CDP side of the PS2, but the last time I talked to someone who did, they said it sounded relatively warm...but that the next nearest CDP in the house blew it away in detailing, etc. If it sounded anything like the PSOne's CD playback side however, I'd say, don't even bother with it as a CDP.

Sep 10, 2001 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 12
Regarding the PS2 in general......dissappointment. The games are little improved from best PS1 games despite the advanced tech. I realize it takes a couple years for game designers to fully come up to speed on a new system, but results are dissappointing. Sony got greedy, should have released PS2 2-3 years ago instead of milking PS1 for 5-6 years

I think PS2 will be dethroned by Microsoft X-Box this christmas,
Gates won't rest on his laurels like Sony.

Sep 10, 2001 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 12
I have to disagree, DarkAngel.

I play mostly sports games on PS2, and ALL of the *new* PS2 games (2002) COMPLETELY blow away PS1 games.....I mean, it's actually realistic.....

Sep 10, 2001 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 12
Hmm, I dunno, I'm personally really digging my PS2 and can't wait to see what else comes out on it in the next couple of weeks/years. I was pretty blown away by Gran Turismo 3...having played number 2 and then jumping to 3 was amazing. I didn't want to fall into the trap of paying $50 a game for consoles but I had to start somewhere so I picked GT3 to see what the PS2 is capable of...and I am not disappointed at all.

The major improvement I thought was impressive was how the PS2 looks more like the 3d graphics PCs can generate with 3d acceleration cards...something I thought I'd never see on a console due to the limitation of a TV screen. I don't see that on the PSX...it gets close with games like Bloody Roar 2, but not close enough. I know the Dreamcast has had that "look" for a while apparently, but that was a console I was afraid to get due to its demise.

Sep 11, 2001 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 12
working at a video store I get to borrow the PS2 if I'm closing (have to get it back before opening the next day though..) and I have to disagree with DarkAngel about the picture quality. I have, or rather my father (whom I live with
smily_headphones1.gif
) has a 58 inch TV. I can't even play my PS1 on it because the picture quality is so horrible when it's stretched out so much. For example NHL2000 for the PS1 is unplayable on the big screen while NHL2001 for the PS2 looks bloody AMAZING.

For fun I hooked up both systems to a crappy 14inch TV that lives in my room and even there I have to say that the picture quality is noticably better on the PS2.

Sep 11, 2001 at 9:41 AM Post #8 of 12
rajan, sorry, I sold the Gamma already.

Sep 11, 2001 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 12
Well
Since I don't play any football, baseball, basketball, soccer, golf etc with PS2 game system this may be a big improvement for people into these games. Yes the resolution is higher but I was
refering more to the actual game play

I am a shooter/fighter/racing freak, and these type of games for
PS2 have been decidely mediocre, until Gran Turismo 3 was released as Vertigo says. This is the first racer that is clearly superior to any PS1 product, best racing game on any platform, this alone may be enough reason to make me buy PS2.

However I think X-Box right out of the gate will outclass PS2,
so I will hold off making expensive software investments till its release.

Computer is still the king of shooter/role playing genre, no game port of Unreal or Quake III comes close, same for Diablo/Starcraft/Baldur genre.

Sep 11, 2001 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 12
rajan,

The reproduction of DVD is amazing compared to VHS. I've watched Matrix on a dedicated DVD player on a 52" wide screen. My PS2 is connected to my Sony Wega via component ICs. Other than the screen being bigger the clarity was still there. In all the research I've done of the PS2, the DVD is a mid-grade unit. For the absolute best picture, you should have a new TV (flat screen) and connect the PS2 to via component ICs.

Mid-grade or not it's DVD. Once you start getting into DVD players that cost twice/three times as much, the law of diminishing returns occurs, just with all audio/video componentry.

It's very hard to concentrate with all the tragedy that's happening right now.

My prayers go out to all the families who have been affected by this cowardly act.

Regards - reynman

Sep 11, 2001 at 7:52 PM Post #11 of 12
right on, reynman....

this kind of thing makes all this high-end stuff (arguments, feuds, etc.) seem so pointless.

It's all.....damn ****ty, today.......

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Sep 12, 2001 at 12:42 AM Post #12 of 12
Vertigo-1, reynman, et. al.,

Thank you for your replies.

PS. I am no stranger to terrorist activities which is prevalent in my part of the world. I have been desensitized but I still feel for the lives that were lost and wonder what sick minds can even think of these acts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back