Queen 1,2,3 and 4 best sounding cd release
Feb 11, 2007 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

calcajun

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to buy the best issue of the first 4 or so queen cd's.

From what i can tell doing a search there are the used original release, the hollywood re releases with the Xtra tracks (which i don't care for the Xtra tracks anyway) and then there seem to be some Japan remasters that sell for bout 44 bucks each. Then i would not doubt that there may be other releases available.

These are the ones i am interested in.
Queen
Queen II
Sheer heart attack
Night at the opera ( i have this in DVD-A )
Day at the races
News of the world
The miracle

All i care about is the track lists of the originals but on the best sounding
cd release.

Anyone have any experience with these and recomend the best choice?

Thanks

Feb 11, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 9
I have the 1993 remaster of A Night at the Opera which sounds pretty good apart from Bohemian Rhapsody; a few minutes in the left channel sounds like it clips, or there was a loose cable or something, for anout 10-15 seconds. But then, the other copy of Rhapsody that i have (on Greatest Hits) sounds like it too. The rest of the disc is fine though, not too hot either. The only number that looks like a cat reference is 0777 7 89492 2 0.

Feb 11, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 9
I just listened to the two channel Bo Rap off the DVD-A. Where it gets loud just before the guitar solo, specifically where the vocal goes "sometimes wish i never been born at all". There is distortion there .

I just heard the left noise you are talking about and it is where the vocal says goodbye everybody ive got to go. Yes it sounds like someone moves a loose or noisy connection.

So on the DVD-A two channel Bo Rap, there are to parts where there is distortion.

Oh yeah, thanks for making me go listen for that. Where i never noticed it before i will ALWAYS hear it now! :)

I came back to add that i just listened to a mp3 ripped @ 320 from an original first issue cd. The distortion is also there.

Feb 11, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 9
You need to hand out at Steve Hoffman's place: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

If you want to know what version is best, that's THE place.

The common 1992 (or so) remasters on Hollywood are not looked at favorably. You need to go back to the original mid-80s EMI pressings (UK or West Germany). They are HARD to find, and you will pay a premium, but worth hunting down.

There's a Hoffman DCC Gold CD version of a Night At The Opera from 2000 that can still be had at reasonable prices. It's heaven on a stick, and the last word on that title.

The Sheer Heart Attack West Germany CD is also AWESOME! But very hard to find.

Feb 11, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 9
I recalled reading in the past that the hollywood re issues were not that good. I just needed to be re affirmed to steer clear of those.

Not sure how to search for others you mentioned. I assume i would search for
"Imports" ?

I will start doing some searches and hold off buying anything till i am sure what might be available.

If anyone is aware of any leads please let me know.
Thanks

Feb 11, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to hand out at Steve Hoffman's place: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

If you want to know what version is best, that's THE place.

The common 1992 (or so) remasters on Hollywood are not looked at favorably. You need to go back to the original mid-80s EMI pressings (UK or West Germany). They are HARD to find, and you will pay a premium, but worth hunting down.

There's a Hoffman DCC Gold CD version of a Night At The Opera from 2000 that can still be had at reasonable prices. It's heaven on a stick, and the last word on that title.

The Sheer Heart Attack West Germany CD is also AWESOME! But very hard to find.

Good advice - I have the DCC hoffman gold of a Night at the Opera, and it is amazing

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

If anyone is aware of any leads please let me know.

Keep your eyes peeled on the Hoffman Classifieds. They'll turn up sooner or later.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 9
By the way, from this list...

Queen
Queen II
Sheer heart attack
Night at the opera ( i have this in DVD-A )
Day at the races
News of the world
The miracle

I just picked up the gold DCC re master new and a used News Of the world Mobile fidelity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back