Qudelix-T71 Thread | 8V RMS, PEQ & 7.1 Surround USB DAC/Amp
Oct 21, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #91 of 433
a lot of focus being placed on the balanced output these days, especially from the popular brands...
The public sees "balanced output" which sounds sophisticated and they assume it must be better, even if they don't understand it. Manufacturers jumped on this perception to imply that they have a superior product, and now we have reached a point where manufacturers feel obligated to offer balanced output, or else they might be at a marketing disadvantage.

Going balanced is a way to produce more power from an amplifier, but it comes with disadvantages. See this:
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

Oct 21, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #92 of 433
I am very happy with my T71, but I realized that the Apple Music in Dolby Atmos does not always sound better than the stereo version. This depends a lot of the songs. For example Rushs Moving Pictures sounds great in the Dolby Atmos version. Dire Straits Sultans of swing sound very bad in Dolby Atmos. The vocals are not loud enough. Are the Dolby Atmos version of songs in Apple Music lossless? I don’t think so. When you switch in the settings of the Music App in iOS to Dolby Atmos (automatically) you will be asked, if the songs downloaded in stereo shall be switched to Dolby Atmos. This will save space, therefore I think it won’t be lossless. Or does anybody have further information?

Oct 21, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #93 of 433
I am very happy with my T71, but I realized that the Apple Music in Dolby Atmos does not always sound better than the stereo version. This depends a lot of the songs. For example Rushs Moving Pictures sounds great in the Dolby Atmos version. Dire Straits Sultans of swing sound very bad in Dolby Atmos. The vocals are not loud enough. Are the Dolby Atmos version of songs in Apple Music lossless? I don’t think so. When you switch in the settings of the Music App in iOS to Dolby Atmos (automatically) you will be asked, if the songs downloaded in stereo shall be switched to Dolby Atmos. This will save space, therefore I think it won’t be lossless. Or does anybody have further information?

Dolby Atmos content is not lossless, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the music production itself, if that's what you're trying to imply.

Just like in stereo content, the different codecs and audio formats only serve the function of containers and what determines the quality of the music is the talent of the studio where it was produced, that's why there are tracks in Dolby Atmos that sound excellent and others that sound bad, as you rightly said.

I wouldn't worry about whether it is lossless or lossy, as long as it is transparent to our ears in terms of music reproduction.

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #94 of 433
Damn...I can't find my receipt for the 5K either. So the full price + 20$ Shipping and at least +25% in import fees...I think I'll have to pass then sadly. The total sum would be somewhere around 400$ for me...:frowning2:
Email Qudelix to see if they’d be willing to give a discount. I couldn’t find my receipt for Q5K either and I emailed them intending to purchase 3 units of Q-T71 and they gave a discount of 20% with shipping included. Not sure if they would for 1 unit of Q-T71 but you can check.

Oct 23, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #95 of 433
My T71 is just released from the customs in Germany. It should arrive very soon. Question: Do we need one of those beta firmwares for a stable operation or was there a release recently?

Oct 23, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #96 of 433
My T71 is just released from the customs in Germany. It should arrive very soon. Question: Do we need one of those beta firmwares for a stable operation or was there a release recently?
It should be with you very soon.
Just download the chrome extension and update the firmware. They recently updated it and fixed the crashing bug. Been using it for days and got no flaws so far.

Oct 24, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #97 of 433
It should be with you very soon.
Just download the chrome extension and update the firmware. They recently updated it and fixed the crashing bug. Been using it for days and got no flaws so far.
And it has arrived. It is a bit disappointing that the Chrome plug-in does not work under Linux (I am spending most of my time working / developing under Linux, so I would very much appreciate it), although the plug-in seems to find the device. Maybe it is a simple fix? Anyway, I will report it.

Then I switched to Windows, did the update and immediately started the "The Last of Us" game and it was recognised as a 7.1 sound card. Nice! I didn't play long enough to make a comparison to the 2.0 mode, but it was nicely emulating the direction of the sound.

Oct 24, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #98 of 433
And it has arrived. It is a bit disappointing that the Chrome plug-in does not work under Linux (I am spending most of my time working / developing under Linux, so I would very much appreciate it), although the plug-in seems to find the device. Maybe it is a simple fix? Anyway, I will report it.

Then I switched to Windows, did the update and immediately started the "The Last of Us" game and it was recognised as a 7.1 sound card. Nice! I didn't play long enough to make a comparison to the 2.0 mode, but it was nicely emulating the direction of the sound.
Nice, enjoy it! Hope they manage to make it work properly with Linux soon.

The T71 is great for gaming. Playing RE4 remake right now and the positioning of the sounds is more accurate (can hear the enemies around easier) and it creates a more immersive experience overall when using 7.1 mode. Try switching from 7.1 to 2.0 while gaming with matched volumes and Im sure that you are gonna notice the difference.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #99 of 433

For Linux, you just need to write udev rules for it. There's one on qudelix forums that you can copy.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #101 of 433
Hi guys. One question for the people that use parametric EQ. I've been using the speaker EQ only, but I know that it only works for stereo. For the ones that are using the User EQ for the 7.1 mode, do you apply the same EQ to all the channels?

Thanks!

Oct 24, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #102 of 433
Hi guys. One question for the people that use parametric EQ. I've been using the speaker EQ only, but I know that it only works for stereo. For the ones that are using the User EQ for the 7.1 mode, do you apply the same EQ to all the channels?

Thanks!

Good question.
I couldn't answer for sure.

So, intuitively, I would say that the EQ should have different settings between the various channels.

What would be the point of applying an identical EQ between, for example, the FL and FR channels and the LFE channel (which should only receive frequencies <100 Hz)?
It would sound strange to me to apply the same filter.

But, as I said, I'm not an expert.

Also: are you sure the speaker EQ will only be 2.0?
As I wrote to you in another post, I would expect that with the multi-channel IEMs that QUDELIX will have to produce, the EQ should be multi-channel (at least I hope).

Your question will still remain valid even in that case.

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #103 of 433

Thanks!

At first I was confused with User EQ thinking it was the correct option for headphones (and that Speaker EQ was only for speakers and not for headphones), but after the clarification by Qudelix, I understand the following:

-User EQ is for when you need ―for some reason― to EQ by content, i.e. a specific preset for a certain game or movie (increasing or decreasing the presence of certain regions of the different channels to hit the right "mix" for you).
-Speaker EQ is for applying EQ at the headphone level, being the option to develop the preset with the sound signature you are looking for your headphone.

You can use both simultaneously as far as I understand, but personally I "trust" the way the multichannel content is mixed from the source and I do not see myself with enough capacity to modify it, hence I don't use User EQ and have it disabled (although it is true that sometimes the presence of bass is very exaggerated in these multichannel mixes of movies or games, or the voices are too forward in certain tracks and it could be useful to lower it a little with User EQ, depending on the content).

Having said that and trying to answer your question, I think the most appropriate way for User EQ is to equalize only the channels you want to be affected depending on the sound result you want to achieve in specific content.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #104 of 433
At first I was confused with User EQ thinking it was the correct option for headphones (and that Speaker EQ was only for speakers and not for headphones), but after the clarification by Qudelix, I understand the following:

-User EQ is for when you need ―for some reason― to EQ by content, i.e. a specific preset for a certain game or movie (increasing or decreasing the presence of certain regions of the different channels to hit the right "mix" for you).
-Speaker EQ is for applying EQ at the headphone level, being the option to develop the preset with the sound signature you are looking for your headphone.

You can use both simultaneously as far as I understand, but personally I "trust" the way the multichannel content is mixed from the source and I do not see myself with enough capacity to modify it, hence I don't use User EQ and have it disabled (although it is true that sometimes the presence of bass is very exaggerated in these multichannel mixes of movies or games, or the voices are too forward in certain tracks and it could be useful to lower it a little with User EQ, depending on the content).

Having said that and trying to answer your question, I think the most appropriate way for User EQ is to equalize only the channels you want to be affected depending on the sound result you want to achieve in specific content.
Thanks! I really don't know what to think anymore. I've also read what Qudelix said, but they are not clear enough. The speaker EQ is easy to understand of course, but I've been using the speaker EQ on the 7.1 mode with games and it only affects the left&Right channel, so if you use a PEQ with preamp (Im using -7db with my Focal Clear EQ), it makes the L&R channel sound significantly lower than the other ones and you get some weird moments. For example, on RE4 remake, the shots sound way louder cause they seem to be coming from the subwoofer channel. This makes using speaker EQ with 7.1 content really inconvenient IMO.

Tonight I just copied my EQ and applied to all channels to the User EQ and I didn't notice anything weird. Technically you are not doing anything different than applying it to stereo content. I know that, for example, the subwoofer channel should only receive bass frequencies, but I don't think that EQing other frequencies on that channel is gonna affect it, cause you shouldnt be receiving anything over 120hz on the LFE and younare not even using a real sub.
EQing according to every content would be a pain cause you don't even know how the mix is done.

I need to keep trying. But looks like the user EQ with all bands EQd is giving me better results. Lets see what Qudelix says if they answer my question.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #105 of 433
I just ran test with multichannel test tracks and can confirm that using speaker EQ only affects to the L&R channel, this makes kind of pointless using it with multichannel content, specially if you are using a preamp. It will unbalance the mix.
Running the same tests with the same EQ applied to all channels, things come back to normal and all sound even without any weird stuff.

Of course you can tune the user EQ in case you wanna change the multichannel mix, but if you just want to use your regular PEQ with the multichannel mode (which I think is what most people want), I recommend you to do what I did.

From now on, I'll be using the 2.0 mode with speaker EQ and the 7.1 mode with User EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back