Quasi Poll: loudspeakers that you like as much as headphones
Jul 12, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #32 of 41
Single driver / full range - based DIY
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #33 of 41
Funny, 2 people mention Rogers LS3/5A. I have them but haven't listened to them for years. Must hear them again. Recently, I almost bought the Maggie MMW but chickened out.

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #34 of 41
Tannoy Dual concentrics. I own a pair of Berkeleys (15 inch, 1987). But all models old and new (10 inch or larger) I've ever heard have that 'je ne sais qua' in their sound sig that I really like. That, and of course the fabulous ability in handling dynamics. And their pinpoint imaging. And their lifesize presentation. And....

Although I must say... I heard Jose Carreras on a pair of Dynaudio Evidence once... Very nice indeed, but in a different ball park money wise.

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronfint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Verity Parsifal Encores sound far better than any headphone I've ever heard. Absolutely beautiful sound, dynamic, and enormous sound stage -- wide and deep.

Yeah especially for the price, they are a real bargain....

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah especially for the price, they are a real bargain....

The price would depend on when and where one bought them. But, of course, you would know that.

Sep 25, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #38 of 41
Of the speakers I've owned and or currently own, I like the following, when properly set up, much more than headphones:

B&W N805
JM Reynaud Trente
Spica TC-60
Reference 3a De Capo i
Dunlavy SC-IV

But, when not properly set up in a room with acoustical treatment, none of them even comes close to a low-end headphone.

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #40 of 41
Only one I liked better than my headphone setup, I heard at CES at the high end audio show. They were electrostatic (no dynamic drivers), humongous (taller than me), and cost $40K (not including amps)

So, yeah. If I had over $50K in spare pocket change, I'd have a speaker set up that I'd like better than my headphones. I should probably revise that amount to include room treatments, which would include a million dollar house. (and that's a small house, not even close to a mansion here.)

Yeah. I'll stick with my headphones.

-Ed

Sep 25, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #41 of 41
Are you speaking of the sound labs A1? I loved those too. Saw them at the 1999 or was it 2000 Las Vegas CES. It was put in a very small room but still sounded great. My favorites at that CES were those A1s, Phi speakers using a J.C. Verdier Turtable setup, and the avantegarde speakers. Worst sound to me was the JMlab Utopias. Not really the worst but the biggest shock that such an expensive speaker system could sound that bad. Im sure they were better than a transistor radio though hehehe

a1-cherry-300.gif

Is this the one? I think the ones I saw were all black though from memory, not sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back