Quandry - iMod & cable or MAD Ear?
May 22, 2009 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

singular

Head-Fier
So the head-fi upgradeitis bug has bitten well and truly and at the moment I'm weighing up a couple of options.

Option 1: 30gb 5.5G iMod + ELO cable = ~$600
Option 2: Mapletree Ear + HD = ~$700

I'm in the UK so the above costs include shipping estimates.

Now I would love to be able to just splurge on both at once but that's not going to happen. I primarily listen at home so here is how the respective rigs would look...

Option 1: iMod w.ALAC -> ELO Cryo cable -> iBasso D3 -> Grado RS2
Option 2: PC w.WAV -> iBasso D3 as DAC -> MAD Ear -> Grado RS2

Which will give better sound quality?

Option 1 has the option of being fairly portable, though I also have a turntable in the home rig so that would allow me to listen to that as well - I've just bought a bunch of mint Zappa LP's so that is attractive.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Sam

May 30, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #3 of 8
The MAD Ear paired magnificently with the RS1 but when I had the RS2, it didn't pair too well with the MAD Ear. I thought the RS2 was laid back with rolled off highs compared to the RS1. IMO, pairing the RS2 with the MAD Ear will just make it more laid back. (recessed?).

May 30, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by singular /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the head-fi upgradeitis bug has bitten well and truly and at the moment I'm weighing up a couple of options.

Option 1: 30gb 5.5G iMod + ELO cable = ~$600
Option 2: Mapletree Ear + HD = ~$700

I'm in the UK so the above costs include shipping estimates.

Now I would love to be able to just splurge on both at once but that's not going to happen. I primarily listen at home so here is how the respective rigs would look...

Option 1: iMod w.ALAC -> ELO Cryo cable -> iBasso D3 -> Grado RS2
Option 2: PC w.WAV -> iBasso D3 as DAC -> MAD Ear -> Grado RS2

Which will give better sound quality?

Option 1 has the option of being fairly portable, though I also have a turntable in the home rig so that would allow me to listen to that as well - I've just bought a bunch of mint Zappa LP's so that is attractive.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Sam

I would want to update my source at some point, the MAD EAR+ deserves better than a D2.

May 30, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #6 of 8
I think he is on the right track, its hard to get everything at once. I used a portable dac for my Raptor before I got the Stello.
smile.gif

May 30, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 8
I rather buy one very good item than two run of the mill items. Since you do most of your listening at home I would get the Mapletree amp and later a better source or can. A DAC often overlooked here is the Devil Sound DAC, do a search and look into it.

Since you are in the UK look into the Graham Slee new headphone amp the Solo SRG w/ the PSU1 power supply. It is a very nice sounding amp and should bring an smile to your face.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back