quality value of headphone vs loudspeaker?
Jun 2, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #16 of 22
It depends mostly on your room. Other than that it depends on which factors you value most like detail over soundstage or vice versa.

Jun 2, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I suspect this thread will get ugly soon, but before it does I'll say that my Von Schweikert VR4jr's trumps any of my phones and not by a little bit.

It's like comparing a small 10" tv screen to a 32". I'm sorry but size does matter!

And if you take size out of the equation, the SQ of the VS's still beat any phones that I've had minus room issues which I've nailed down pretty good.

But I listen mostly to phones because I have a hard time just sitting in the sweet spot, and noise is an issue where I live, and I'm enjoying the lower prices for headphone gear. I'll always be into phones.

It's ironic that you mention VS, because even though I haven't the VR-1s myself they just come immediately to mind as the $1000 speakers to get when people talk about $1000 speakers coming up to the headphone experience. If they sound anything like my VR-5s, they would definitely give you more than any of the headphones I have. I mean headphones are nice for certain things (especially low space situations like I'm currently in), but the VR-5s just sound sublime as a complete experience. I'm sure your VR-4jrs give you the same experience. The only thing is getting the room issues dealt with and they just sing.

Jun 2, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #18 of 22
Assuming a suitable room, far-field listening, and commercial rather than DIY speakers, I think the cheapest speaker solution to give equivalent sound quality to the Senn 580/600/650 line would probably run about $8000. (Tannoy TD10)

If you're willing to get something uglier and go with a pro audio midfield monitor instead of a domestic hi-fi speaker, then you can find speakers of similar accuracy for under $3000 (e.g. JBL 6332).

Jun 2, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #19 of 22
For me, it's not so much about sound QUALITY, but sound ENJOYMENT. I have a small set of Paradigm monitors that only cost about $500, but I love listening to them for the things my headphones can't reproduce, such as bass impact and natural soundstage reproduction.

Like most of us, I won't ever NOT have headphones, but I certainly would never want to be without a good loudspeaker set up. Besides, parties suck with headphones!
icon10.gif

Jun 2, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
Like most of us, I won't ever NOT have headphones, but I certainly would never want to be without a good loudspeaker set up. Besides, parties suck with headphones!
icon10.gif

Agree totally with that comment but then I started with speakers. Went for headphones for SWMBO acceptance at 0200hrs when I can't sleep. You just can't crank up a speaker system at antisocial hours especially with a powered sub and something like Sabbath.

Jun 2, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TempleOfEar
i love headphones for it's sound quality alone- not for it's portability. cuz frankly, i wouldn't want to be seen in the public looking like an eskimo wearing my hd600s. but have you ever had a moment of snottiness and thought about just how much of an expensive sound quality you're enjoying compared to a pair of loudspeakers? i got into hi-fi hobby with a pair of mission m35i loud speakers- $700 value. and after getting my hd600, i don't think i can even look at my missions straight faced anymore. and now i'm just wondering how expensive pair of a loudspeaker it's gonna take to make me put down the hd600. what do you think, guys? how expensive of a loudspeaker sound is my headphone producing?

I feel quite differently.
A pair of magnepan mmgs can stand up to *any* high head headphone.

I prefer them over the HD600.(At a certain point in time, I believe they were the same price retail.)

Jun 2, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #22 of 22
My Paradigm Active 20 monitors blow away the headphones I've used so far.

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/597/

They're in a different league though. Amazingly, they cost me much less than the Beyer DT880s that are in the mail to me now. Gotta love government auctions; $60 with a bunch of other equipment. I don't have any expectations of any headphone approaching these--and I mean that for all areas of sound presentation (with perhaps some very specific imaging that only headphone placement allows). But headphones do not disturb others--thats my main resason for using them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back