quality USB 2.0 HUB?
Dec 30, 2009 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rhythmdevils

Member of the Trade: rhythmdevils audio
Every one I've found has the same reviews of unreliability, and finicky issues with devices unmounting, not getting enough power, etc. Literally every single one. I want to get a new one because I'm currently having some weirdness with a few USB devices, namely 2 ipods, so getting another one that could cause more problems is pointless.

Any of you computer gurus know of one that is actually made well? Seems like a really simple device. It provides power, and relays the connection.
confused_face(1).gif
Maybe it's just a problem of everything getting negative reviews cause people don't know how to use stuff? I don't know.

Dec 30, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 16
hmmm that one does look nice. Didn't come up in my froogle search. What do they mean by "downstream USB ports"? I can't imagine why something like this is complicated or needs to be high tech in any way.... crazyness.

How do I know if they are independently powered? Can you recomend one Aevum?

Dec 30, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #6 of 16
The speck states Power Adapter, so whenever you see that it means external power supply.
Package Includes:
Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7-Port Hub
Power Adapter
5-Pin Mini B USB Cable
User Manual
Unquote

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 16
the issue is that an on board Usb hub can only give 550mA, and once thats occupied, the rest of the ports on the hub might aswell be disabled, so if you plug in something like a wifi usb stick, a webcam or a modem, that uses the whole 550mA, then the remaining ports are unable to power anything, thats where the external power comes up, most usb hubs with external power can add another 1-1.5 amper to that 550mA from the master usb port, but take in to account some devices will react badly to being on a hub insted of a master port,

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 16
Belkin USB hub with AC power has been working best for me.

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every one I've found has the same reviews of unreliability, and finicky issues with devices unmounting, not getting enough power, etc. Literally every single one. I want to get a new one because I'm currently having some weirdness with a few USB devices, namely 2 ipods, so getting another one that could cause more problems is pointless.

Any of you computer gurus know of one that is actually made well? Seems like a really simple device. It provides power, and relays the connection.
confused_face(1).gif
Maybe it's just a problem of everything getting negative reviews cause people don't know how to use stuff? I don't know.

Trying not to let this go off on a tangent but before you replace anything, have you tried a clean install of your motherboard's USB Controller firmware? I'm assuming you're using a PC rather than Mac and Windows rather than Linux/Ubuntu/etc. I've resolved USB issues on a number of PCs through a firmware rather than hardware update.

You can usually find the updates on your motherboard's manufacturer's website or if you bought it through Dell or whatnot through their's.

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 16
I also have the Belkin and I like it. It's a bit light/cheap feeling and gets pulled around by the USB cord, which is a pet peeve of mine. Other than that, it's really nice and does its job. I use mine to connect my printer, hard drive, and flash drives to my Airport Extreme.

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wired_Gargoyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trying not to let this go off on a tangent but before you replace anything, have you tried a clean install of your motherboard's USB Controller firmware? I'm assuming you're using a PC rather than Mac and Windows rather than Linux/Ubuntu/etc. I've resolved USB issues on a number of PCs through a firmware rather than hardware update.

You can usually find the updates on your motherboard's manufacturer's website or if you bought it through Dell or whatnot through their's.

No, tangents are good. I'm using a Mac pro though. I'm also having issues with firewire external drives unmounting themselves and I've isolated the issue as not being the drive's fault. So there could just be some issue with my computer. But the hub I have now is usb 1, so I figured I might as well replace it anyways and there's always a chance it's creating problems. I guess I'll get the belkin.

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #13 of 16
I've been using this USB hub for awhile now, and I think it's quite decent:

Amazon.com: Logitech Premium 4-Port USB Hub: Electronics

It's a good product for its price. There is one thing about this though: it doesn't come with an AC adapter (you'll have to get them off eBay).

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's just about as many 1 star reviews as 5 star reviews for that expensive Belkin hub. Check out all these people saying virtually the same thing (and also the same complaint as lots of people have for every other unit I've looked at)

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7-Port Hub

That's very odd, as I own four of them and not a single one has died. On the flip side, none of them get as hot as those review state, just warm; perhaps I might've just gotten lucky.

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back