Quality retailes in Milwaukee area
Jan 4, 2006 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

n-abler

New Head-Fier
Is anyone on the boards from Milwaukee...if so where do you go to audition Grados, Senns, Audio Technica and other respectable phones side by side? It's great to read reviews and the forum is helpful but nothing beats actually hearing the different models and makes in person.

Jan 4, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 18
I know EXACTLY what you mean, i live in Milwaukee....

The only place i can find is Flanner's Audio Video which is across the street from Brookfield Square in front of Sportmart where that Barne's and Noble's used to be.

They have hd-650, hd-555, hd-595, and 1 or 2 others, but no Grados...i don't think there is a place in Milwaukee for Grados.

Jan 4, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by n-abler
Is anyone on the boards from Milwaukee...if so where do you go to audition Grados, Senns, Audio Technica and other respectable phones side by side? It's great to read reviews and the forum is helpful but nothing beats actually hearing the different models and makes in person.

There are very few places in the entire country, let alone Milwaukee, where you can audition the heavy hitters side by side*, but for Senns you can go to either Flanners in Brookfield, or Audio Emporium off of Brown Deer Rd in Brown Deer. Sound Investments off of Silver Spring Dr might have some Grados, but you'd better call first to find out. I'm probably one of the only people in town to have a set of Audio Technicas (AD-2000's), and you're welcome to come to my place to have a listen to them and my recabled 580's if you'd like.

*That's why headphone meets are so popular.

Jan 4, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 18
I got my Senn 595's from Flanners but much as I love them the bug seems to have bitten and I'd love to side by side some other stuff. I think I'll have to try Sound Investments and Audio Emporium thanks for the heads up on them.

Jan 4, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE
There are very few places in the entire country, let alone Milwaukee, where you can audition the heavy hitters side by side*, but for Senns you can go to either Flanners in Brookfield, or Audio Emporium off of Brown Deer Rd in Brown Deer. Sound Investments off of Silver Spring Dr might have some Grados, but you'd better call first to find out. I'm probably one of the only people in town to have a set of Audio Technicas (AD-2000's), and you're welcome to come to my place to have a listen to them and my recabled 580's if you'd like.

*That's why headphone meets are so popular.

I auditioned Grado SR325i's in Eugene, Oregon
biggrin.gif
Also you can listen to Beyer DT770-80's at most Guitar Centers.

Jan 4, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 18
I live in madison. If you are willing to take a road trip, go to University Audio on park street. They have all the senns I think...595,580,600,650. And they also have Grado 325i, 225,60. The owner has a pair of RS-1's that he will drop off at the store and let you listen to if you call in advance. They guy who is there most of the time is really nice and helpful, though mostly he seems like a speaker person. Make sure you call though and check what they have before you go. There headphone stock is ever changing and they are out of stuff somtimes. Like for a few weeks they didn't have the 225 or the 125 grado. Also make sure you confirm that they will have the RS-1 if you want to listen to it. Happened to me once that the owner forgot it. But it wasn't a big deal because I lived at the dorms only about 4-6 blocks away.

Jan 4, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #7 of 18
Sorry to hijack this thread but how is Milwaukee these days? I havent been there in about 5 years but do remember seeing some of the worst ghettos known to man in the USA. The areas are North Ave close to Downtown Milwaukee.

Dont mean to put down your city but I use to live in Brooklyn NY and our ghettos are much nicer.
icon10.gif

Jan 4, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by calgary2800
Sorry to hijack this thread but how is Milwaukee these days? I havent been there in about 5 years but do remember seeing some of the worst ghettos known to man in the USA. The areas are North Ave close to Downtown Milwaukee.

Dont mean to put down your city but I use to live in Brooklyn NY and our ghettos are much nicer.
icon10.gif

I've been around a little bit and I don't think Milwaukee ghettos are any better or any worse than what I've seen in other cities, but that being what it may the Milwaukee metro area has been booming lately, and there's lots of renovation going on downtown, even in the ghetto areas. Right now most of the downtown freeways are being rebuilt - it's a three year project - so you probably wouldn't recognize it if you were to come back this way.

Jan 4, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 18
I've lived in Milwaukee most of my life, and also had a lot of trouble finding decent audio stores. Luckily after 2 weeks of being on Head-fi, there was a local meet where, amongst others, Tuberoller and Ray Samuels showed up wtih gear. Audio Emporium is pretty nice, although I've gotta say the are quite the "speaker snobs" and seemed to look slightly down on my headphile nature.
rolleyes.gif

I bought my Arcam CD73 through Audio Visual Specialties which is now located somewhere downtown, and I believe they carry Grados there. But if I remember correctly, no Milwaukee store has any Grado higher than the SR125.

If you're interested in any of the gear that I own (see my profile), pm me and we could arrange a listening session.

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 18
thread... RESURRECTED!!!!!
Does anyone know of any new places that might have sprung up in the past 2 years in the Milwaukee Area?
Also, is there anywhere to audition cans in Chicago?

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by calgary2800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

icon10.gif

Lots of renovations have been going on in the Downtown area. I would say our ghettos can't even compare to places like Philadelphia, just in the sheer numbers. There are certainly decrepit areas, but they are small and relatively isolated.

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #13 of 18
I'm looking for places that have headphones as well... Only place I know of is Music Direct in Chicago.

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 18
Guitar Center carries Ultrasone, there is also a store in Madison that carries a few different brands. Audio Emporium carries a few Senns and a few Grados. The owner of AE is a very nice guy.

May 8, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #15 of 18
Where is Audio Emporium? Is it in the city, or out near Tosa or Brookfield?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back