quality+recording
Jul 5, 2004 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Eli Morgan

Head-Fier
I'd like to note to everyone that I am 256+ bitrate MP3's. Now, some songs that I listen to have a slight crackle now and than, or are a little foggy. Most of them sound really awesome. I am a big rolling stones fan, and I a large portion of the songs that I have were recording a long time ago. I know its not my headphones or speakers, because on games, DVD's, and most songs, they sound really good. Would this problem be due to the recording quality, and the ripping method? It doesn't really bother me on the occasional song.

thanks

Jul 5, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 5
jitters and blips are part of the ripping process,
scratchy sound is usually part of the mastered disc.

It's always important to note where the music comes from. I saw someone ripped a SACD once. In the nfo file it had source - Sony SACD player -> Toslink -> Audigy 2 -> 44.1khz wav -> 256mp3.

The end result is that the cd (non remastered) sounded way better.

The other problem is the recording itself. There are many mp3s floating around the net but few are from the remastered sources. Generaly the rippers don't have a clue.

Jul 6, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
In the nfo file it had source - Sony SACD player -> Toslink -> Audigy 2 -> 44.1khz wav -> 256mp3.

No wonder it sounded so crappy! The Sony player was sending the CD layer to the Audigy which then resampled it to 48 KHz and then back to 44.1 KHz using it's craptacular built-in resampler.

Jul 8, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 5
depends what music your listening to .. look at hip hop their grabbing samples and breaks off some 30+ year old piece of vinyl thats just been lying around
600smile.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eli Morgan
I am a big rolling stones fan, and I a large portion of the songs that I have were recording a long time ago.

That would be my first guess, especially if you transferred from older than the most recent remasters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back