Quality of the Soundblaster Audigy 2
Jun 19, 2011 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

blackbird

100+ Head-Fier
A relative gave me a computer with an actual dedicated soundcard. This is exciting for me, since I"ve always only used integrated sound solutions, and unamped/non-dac headphones. I simply don't have the money to worry about that currently.

However, the computer came with this sound card. I am actually tempted to take it out of this one, and put it in my main computer (which runs linux) if it is any decent. Does anyone have any experience with the card?

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 21
Which exact model is it? Audigy 2 base model, ZS, Value or SE?

And yes, it's a nice soundcard, as long as you work around the hardware resampler, and use modded drivers, which significantly improve audio quality.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 21
Ah, good news, as it's on the best level of the Audigy 2 series.
You should definitely put that card to good use :wink:

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
better in windows

download latest drivers
http://support.creative.com/downloads/welcome.aspx?nLanguageLocale=1033&nDriverType=1#type_1

No. The OP will have far superior performance with any of the available modded drivers. If gaming is not a concern, kX drivers are very good.

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
Roller & tom2011

Maybe you both gave un-needed suggestions since :
Quote:

jiiteepee

Oops, I really misread it as taking the card out of the computer running linux and putting on his main computer
biggrin.gif
Alright, I take my suggestion back.

And there should be acceptable support for Linux, IIRC. Since a few years back that Creative cards were supported on Linux, although not tapping the full DSP potential, but enough to make it run.

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #9 of 21
A shame you're not concidering running on windows as you should give kX Audio drivers a try for improved sound quality: http://kxproject.com/

These drivers are the reason I don't plan swapping out my Audigy 2 ZS for quite a while even if I want to get as good soundcard as possible as I feel with the plugins and especially the EQ I can really make huge improvements to my liking. What I benefit in upgrading to a newer soundcard from the more up to date hardware I probably lose in the configurability anyway.

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
A shame you're not concidering running on windows as you should give kX Audio drivers a try for improved sound quality: http://kxproject.com/

These drivers are the reason I don't plan swapping out my Audigy 2 ZS for quite a while even if I want to get as good soundcard as possible as I feel with the plugins and especially the EQ I can really make huge improvements to my liking.

My thoughts exactly. It's a very nice card to run, as long as it's always bitmatched.

Windows should definitely be a possibility.

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
However, the computer came with this sound card. I am actually tempted to take it out of this one, and put it in my main computer (which runs linux) if it is any decent. Does anyone have any experience with the card?

Blackbird,

Whenever in doubt about using a sound card in Linux, it is always a good idea to check the card in question on this site:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

For your specific card look here:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Creative_Labs

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #13 of 21
Hey,
Thanks for the suggestion about checking the ALSA project.
I think I'm going to keep it on the windows computer (running OS 7) since it will be too much of a hassle for actually decreased performance. Unfortunately, the windows pc is the backup, while my system-critical work is done on my linuxbox.

I see that this card always resamples to 48hz, despite cds being 44.1hz. Why is this card considered so good?
How would I go about installing the drivers? What is better compared to the OEM drivers?

Also, I think I should sell the sr80i to fund my first amp. That will be mentioned in another post.

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Hey,
Thanks for the suggestion about checking the ALSA project.
I think I'm going to keep it on the windows computer (running OS 7) since it will be too much of a hassle for actually decreased performance. Unfortunately, the windows pc is the backup, while my system-critical work is done on my linuxbox.

I see that this card always resamples to 48hz, despite cds being 44.1hz. Why is this card considered so good?
How would I go about installing the drivers? What is better compared to the OEM drivers?

Also, I think I should sell the sr80i to fund my first amp. That will be mentioned in another post.

Audigy series do indeed hardware resample to 48KHz, but like I said before, if you do bitmatched playback, you bypass the hardware resampler.

Check the link I posted for kX drivers, everything is explained there. Those are the drivers you want to use if music is your main purpose. You didn't state whether you plan on listening to music, playing games or watching movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back