Quality of main amplifier
May 11, 2004 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Kingprinter

New Head-Fier
Please help me with a question. If my Cyrus cd player is connected to my Harmon amp which is not really in the same class and my Sugden Headmaster is also wired to the Harmon does the Harmon have any influence over the quality of the sound when listening through my Senns' HD 600s or does the Sugden completly take over.The point I am trying to make is should I upgrade my Harmon to a better amp if the majority of listening is through phones.

Many thanks. Kingprinter.

May 11, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingprinter
Please help me with a question. If my Cyrus cd player is connected to my Harmon amp which is not really in the same class and my Sugden Headmaster is also wired to the Harmon does the Harmon have any influence over the quality of the sound when listening through my Senns' HD 600s or does the Sugden completly take over.The point I am trying to make is should I upgrade my Harmon to a better amp if the majority of listening is through phones.

[/COLOR=Black]Many thanks. Kingprinter.

Kingprinter - you may want to ask the mods to move this thread to Headphones or Amps forums. This is For Sale/Trade forum - not really for discussion. But as long as I'm here ...

If you are using a tape loop or other line level output to get from the HK to the Headmaster, it should have no affect on sound quality or quantity - the Sugden is driving, pretty much as though it was hooked directly to your Cyrus.

If, however, you are using a pre out (variable output controlled by the JK preamp section< then the HK definitely IS involved, and could be coloring or degrading the signal to the Sugden and HD600's.

This is what you want:

Cyrus ---> Aux/CD In of HK|Tape Out of HK ---> Line In of Sugden

The only affect is that you are going through two IC's, making the signal path a bit longer than going drect to the Headmaster.

<edit> It just occured to me when rereading my post, that you may be using the Headmaster as a Preamp. Is that the case? If so, then the Harmon amp isn't even a factor. No worries at all. </edit>

May 12, 2004 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 3
If the major concern is the quality of headphone listening then the simple thing to do is to wire the CD player output to the Sugden, and then connect this through to the HK (I assume integrated amp?) using a tape output on the Headmaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back