Quality of Burned CD's
Jul 22, 2004 at 8:01 AM Post #16 of 34
hope my marantz cd-63se will hold up to the task
600smile.gif

Jul 22, 2004 at 8:27 AM Post #17 of 34
i remember there was a 5(i think) page artical written by some guy in PDF format saying CDs copied onto black CD-R sounded better then orginal..

cant find the link right now...maybe someone knows where to find it

Jul 22, 2004 at 8:35 AM Post #18 of 34
see someone here is with me. oh yeah, profingersk8ter, just wanted to let you know i like the look of your room. In the thread for posting your home rig. I really like how clean it is.
tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2004 at 10:10 AM Post #19 of 34
I was not aware of the shorter lifespan of CD-R 's compared to pressings..
Does anyone know whether this also applies to the re-writable variety?

Setmenu

Jul 22, 2004 at 10:40 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by setmenu
I was not aware of the shorter lifespan of CD-R 's compared to pressings..
Does anyone know whether this also applies to the re-writable variety?

Yep, CD-RWs are affected as well.

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:12 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by k.ODOMA
Yep, CD-RWs are affected as well.

Thanks,
Any idea of the life span of such optical media?
I had assumed that if left alone and stored sensibly these things would remain
stable indefinitely,thus making a safe long term archive.
I do tend to make multiple copies of data in case of damage or corruption but
had not considered long term stability...

Cheers

Setmenu

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:29 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by setmenu
Thanks,
Any idea of the life span of such optical media?
I had assumed that if left alone and stored sensibly these things would remain
stable indefinitely,thus making a safe long term archive.
I do tend to make multiple copies of data in case of damage or corruption but
had not considered long term stability...

Cheers

Setmenu

cdrws last shorter than plain cdr - 1-5yrs vs 1-10yrs.

keep them out of the sun, and avoid frequent temperature changes/extremes to maximise their lifespan.

Jul 22, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
The biggest difference between a cheap FujiFilm burned CD-R and a MSFL / MAM-A Gold burned CD-R is that the music sounds more convincingly natural (provided the musical performance, engineering, recording, and mastering are up to snuff too). With the cheap FujiFilm CD-Rs, I hear a lot of errors such as distortion, crackling sounds, background hiss, etc. With the expensive MAM-A / MSFL Gold CD-Rs, I hear music as it was intended to sound: natural, relaxing, and invigorating because it is error free.

I burned hundreds of audio cds but never had one that has additional distortions, hissing.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

The only time i had slight crackling sounds is because my cd player has difficulty reading the particular CD-R. It is a Taiyo Yuden and it only occurs on a particular player. BTW Taiyo Yuden are not the ultimate CD-R as some players ie Marantz CD6000 OSE LE cannot even read it. I have since switched to CD-Rs using Mitsubitshi/Verbatim. My opinion is, they have a higher reflectivity which can be read using more players. I haven't tried other CD-Rs extensively only Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubitshi.

And black CD-Rs have problems with many players too.

All my audio cds are extracted and burned using EAC cuesheets. I believe all good quality CD-Rs that are readable by your player will play as well as the original CD and not with distortions and hiss. All CD-Rs I burnt are error free and the problems only occur with selected players and not with others.

Jul 22, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #24 of 34
That's your experience and I respect it. I never had problems reading burned CD-R media but I do hear distortions, background hiss, and slight crackling sounds on certain media. I think that I have copied enough music genres onto blank CD-Rs to avoid the overcompression and loudness recording / mastering techniques usually associated with pop / rock music. All I am saying is that the super duper cheap media sounds imperfect from the original. I think I have a good enough procedure for copying music and I verify zero errors during the rip process and the burn process. Still, I'm not sure that buying very inexpensive blank CD media is worthwhile anymore.

Jul 22, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

I think that I have copied enough music genres onto blank CD-Rs to avoid the overcompression and loudness recording / mastering techniques usually associated with pop / rock music.

hmmm welly_wu actually if you extracted and copied your music, the cdr should be, bit-for-bit, a perfect copy of the original.

loudness compression (reducing the real volume difference between a loud and soft passage in a piece) and loudness (volume) are already in the bits, ie the bits code for them. so unless you alter these bits through some form of third-party processing, you cannot change them. you can change overall album volume (ie pushing everything down 3dB or raising everything 14dB) (normalisation), it involves loss of quality to wav files as the altered waveform has to be resampled. i know of no software that can undo loudness compression.

and hearing pops/clicks/hiss while listening might mean that your player is frantically conducting error correction using the primitive error correction facilities that are part of the redbook format and your filters in your cdp are not catching and removing all the noise.

alternatively, you might have just found the cheapest way to a vinyl experience.
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #26 of 34
No, it's certain discs of albums and I tested them in a variety of computer and consumer electronics players. They still sound well, messed up. The originals do not. These are fairly recent burns within the past year. I simply conclude it's the cheap discs. I don't think it's my reference system that's at fault here because I have had the opportunity to change it quite a bit using the same burned CD-Rs. All I know is that my MAM-A and MSFL Gold CD-Rs don't have these sonic imperfections while the duplicates burned on FujiFilm or SONY Imation CD-Rs do.

Jul 23, 2004 at 12:46 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
hmmm welly_wu actually if you extracted and copied your music, the cdr should be, bit-for-bit, a perfect copy of the original.

adhoc,

I'd say a perfect copy of anything is simply impossible. Whenever you copy anything, informational entropy will take its toll.

That's my experience with copied CDs as well. Each and every CD copy I ever compared to the original - whether they were burned by me or someone else - was worse than the original. Every time. There was less resolution, less dynamic range, less life. The effect that's most noticeable is a dulling of transients. This effect is most pronounced with black CD-R media, BTW. This may be mistaken for a smoother, more analog and musical presentation but in fact, it's just the opposite. Copied CDs are always less involving than the original CDs. Where or how information density gets lost, I don't know. But that information gets lost in the copying process seems obvious to me.

Have you ever compared two original CDs, BTW? I have never found two that sounded identical.

There you have it: digital sound = perfect sound forever.
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #28 of 34
I can think of only one instance where a copied CD could sound better. If you have a heavily scratched CD that causes your CD player to skip, and you rip it in secure mode (using EAC, for instance), then burn it onto good media, there's a definite improvement: no skipping!

Oct 5, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

All I know is that my MAM-A and MSFL Gold CD-Rs don't have these sonic imperfections while the duplicates burned on FujiFilm or SONY Imation CD-Rs do.

However, there're varieties of Fuji and Sony blank CD-R's. I personally will only buy blank CD-R's made in Japan because I found them to be more reliable. However, these are becoming hard to find as companies such as Fuji and Sony get their blank CDs from countries such as Taiwan and India.

I also have great success with Maxell's CD-Pro CD-R's. And yes, I am aware this thread is over 2 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back