Quality of adapters
May 30, 2003 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PeterG

100+ Head-Fier
There have been threads on this but none of them are too informative. I'm using a standard rat shack adapter
274-369.jpg

to plug my Outlaws into my airhead. How much does this degrade sound quality? Is there a nicer adapter I can buy? Thanks.

May 31, 2003 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 9
Some of the threads you've read probably suggested Vampire adaptors. That brand is the only one that I've found to not cause any sound degradation, and other Head-Fiers have agreed. However, I've not tried the specific adaptor you have.

Jun 1, 2003 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 9
I have always been suspicious of unecessary "unsoldered" (for lack of a better word) conections.

I have been using DIY'd pigtails, (gold conectors, teflon/foil/teflon shield and 24 guage CAT5 solid OFC wire) and find them to improve the sound significantly compared to pressure-type adapters.

I am going to post full instructions on building your own, for about $15, on the DIY forum next week, when I hope to have the time to do it.

GnD

Jun 1, 2003 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by dougli
Some of the threads you've read probably suggested Vampire adaptors. That brand is the only one that I've found to not cause any sound degradation, and other Head-Fiers have agreed. However, I've not tried the specific adaptor you have.

Do you know where I can find one of these Vampire adapters? I can't seem to find them at their site. Anywhere I can buy them would be fine.

Jun 1, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 9
I don't think a small, solid adapter of almost any brand would affect sound quality much at all. I seem to remember a certain Head-Fi member comparing his VD Nites to various mini-mini cables using rat shack adapters - and the Nites kicked ass.

-dd3mon

Jun 1, 2003 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 9
I have had adapters break or pull apart so now I make my own with actual jacks and plugs connected by short wiring

the length of the wire precludes any noticeable signal degradation

Jun 1, 2003 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 9
I'm skeptical of those vampire connectors, they look suspiciously like the ratshack ones with a slightly re-shaped casing. Connectors of any sorts, including adaptors will always negitively effect your sound quality, however, i doubt it's significant

Jun 6, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 9
What about these guys?

Monster Y-Adapter

They look pretty solid and the guys on the AVS forum recommended them.

I need to split out from the 5.1 R&L Mains on my DVD963SA.
I actually need to split it twice, once to go into the DVD in the HT receiver and once to go to the XCans.

How much degradation do you think there will be?

Jun 7, 2003 at 5:27 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
I'm skeptical of those vampire connectors, they look suspiciously like the ratshack ones with a slightly re-shaped casing. Connectors of any sorts, including adaptors will always negitively effect your sound quality, however, i doubt it's significant

Does RatShack say what their adaptors are made of? Vampires are constructed of brass base, teflon insulator and gold plate. Sounds like a pretty decent adaptor to me. And I've had good results with their RCAs over the years.

http://vampirewire.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back