Quality mini monitors that for computer based music editing studio????
Jul 8, 2011 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Syan25

Headphoneus Supremus
Please recommend some quality  reference monitors that are small and usable for music editing - small enough to be the size of bookends on a shelf...

Audioengine make small ones like the one's on Jude's desk - but I am not sure if they are for audiophile usage or mixing usage...

I was originally interesed in the Mr5's from Mackie...

Anyway please advise...

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 18
I'm quite happy with my Tannoy 501a's

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 18
I really don't mix any(atleast right now), so right now they are run from my modded zero dac(soon to be loaded dual mono opus), with a behringer MON800 to switch between inputs, control volume, and control my sub as well(alison AL8).

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
Got it - what is the sound sig like? Strengths - weaknesses?

I don't have a whole lot to compare too, but I can say I found them a bit sharp in the treble range, but they have a switch on the rear to adjust that. Overall they come off as fairly balanced, as studio monitors should. I just added the sub mainly for when I'm listening to electronic music with some weight down low.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 18
Cool - I am looking for something rather neutral, flat in the sound sig. Basically a detailed, clean, transparent monitor which is what they are made for...

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 18
Adam A3x's sound like the thing you're looking for. Check out the reviews and impressions around the 'net. They're very small but sound big! Neutral and transparant. They're ideal for a small home studio. 

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #10 of 18
I wanted to add that I also have the Tannoy 501A also. I had a hard time finding a near field monitor that is clear and smooth  in the lower mid-range which seems to be the  failing in many speakers that I listen to. With the Tannoy it is easier to hear details with many instruments in the mix. I am partial to soft dome tweeters.  The Adam A3x has the advantage of the power switch and volume control on the front instead of the back like the Tannoy's

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #11 of 18
Just checked out the Tannoy 501A and, from memory, the Adam A3x are in a whole other league. The Adams are more expensive as well ofcourse. The Tannoy sounds great for the money though and if I only had $250 to kill I'd probably get either them or the Boston Acoustics A25 (passive).  

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #12 of 18
I see - lots of ideas running round. I had no idea the Tannoy were so cheap. I never thought of Tannoy as making monitor quality speakers before - so I am surprised but pleased. I will check out the Adams and Boston Acoustics. I'm wanting a very flat sound - and I guess I may have to pay for it too...

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
I see - lots of ideas running round. I had no idea the Tannoy were so cheap. I never thought of Tannoy as making monitor quality speakers before - so I am surprised but pleased. I will check out the Adams and Boston Acoustics. I'm wanting a very flat sound - and I guess I may have to pay for it too...

Down through the years Tannoy made many of the monitor speakers used in UK studios. Perhaps even most.

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #15 of 18

NHT M-00 they come in 115v and 230v.   But they will not be making more than couple hundred more so get em while you can.    They sell a  passive Volume control with it that's real nice as well.. Cuts ground loop noise. 

From their facebook page

"M-00's. We're sorry to say we're only going to be able to produce another couple of hundred M-00 powered mini monitors. After 14 years and several thousand M-00's, the tool that molds the aluminum alloy cabinet is reaching end of life. We're unlikely to invest another $60K or so into a new one so it appears the end is coming... If you are a serious musician, you might want to break the piggy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back