Quality magnet-less latching relays?
May 6, 2008 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Crowbar

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for hermetically sealed small signal latching relays that use a spring rather than permanent magnet latching system, with high quality contacts.

May 6, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 12
Volume control and line-level output muting. I'm not doing the motorized attenuator thing again... too much work

People like Charles Hansen and John Curl will tell you magnetic materials near the signal influence sound. I'm skeptical, but considering they are successful designers, I give them the benefit of the doubt and do not assume they are wrong.

May 6, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 12
Don't believe everything you read, not even from those two even though they know a lot. How near is "near"?

Electrons are yellow. Why? Because I say so
icon10.gif

May 6, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 12
I didn't say I believe them, simply that I can't disbelieve them either, so I err on the side of caution--if it's possible it can make a difference, then I won't.
Magnetic cores have hysteresis. That's why output transformers sound so horrible (to my ears at least). Some induction into the magnet and back into the audio signal will happen. Whether the small amount matters is a point of debate, however I can't be sure the effect will be below -120 dB.

May 6, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 12
I already use separate CSS-fed shunt regulators on every section and separate power supply, digital, and analog sections sub-enclosures.

May 13, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 12
So, no one has any clue? :/

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 12
confused.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Electrons are yellow. Why? Because I say so

I'm an EE graduate student, and my lab mates universally agree that electrons are yellow. When a new person moves in, the first thing we ask is 'what color are electrons?'

The answer, without fail, is 'yellow'.

Jun 17, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 12
trains, I don't give a **** about your off-topic crap; take your lame jokes elsewhere! Last time I checked, the thread topic was "I'm looking for hermetically sealed small signal latching relays that use a spring rather than permanent magnet latching system, with high quality contacts."

When I get an email response notification and interrupt my work to check what I expect is some useful information, the last thing I want to read is what passes for 'humor' around here!

Moderators, I request that all posts in this thread other than the first post are deleted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back