Quality loss with digital wireless?
Jan 20, 2007 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Matty02

New Head-Fier
As you all know wireless headphones have worse quality than wired headphones. But I was just wondering if the transfer of sound was digital rather than radio or infra-red, would the sound difference be really that worse?

Beyerdynamic are bringing our some digital wireless headphones in Feb (which I will be buying) and hopefully the quality shouldn't be hugely worse than wired headphones of slightly less price. Anyone know much about this sort of thing?

Link to beyers page: http://www.beyerdynamic.co.uk/beyerp..._wireless.html

Cheers.

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 4
If the transmitter don't lossy compress the sound signal, then it should reach the headphones in the same quality as the source file.
Just like streaming audio via AirTunes to an AirPort Express.

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 4
It will be interesting to get a take on these from Headroom.

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 4
There is not much detail about the headphones in the link, but I would suggest that you better stick to wires whenever you can. I don't know which wireless protocol they are using, but it is claimed that it is interference free for up to 20m, which I highly doubt. Obviously wireless transfer can be used for digital, but there are 2 drawbacks with this application, which I can think of. One is interference, which as I said, I doubt you can overcome, since the commercially available wireless band is so crowded. And the other one is, if the signal transfer is digital, then this transmitter accepts digital input and the headphones have the DAC and the amp built-in, since you cannot listen to something digital. So, the headphone becomes both your source and amp. And I am pretty sure that they are not high quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back