Quality: In ear vs Over Ear
Apr 10, 2006 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mr56k

500+ Head-Fier
Im gona get some headphones in the next few days. Size/Portability is not a huge issue although portability would be nice. My questions is.. For the same amount of money what gives better results? In ear or over ear? Say if im gona spend $150 would some $150 in ears "sound" better then the some $150 over th ears? Also then a follow up.. For $99-150 what would be a good choice.

Thanks

Apr 10, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr56k
Also then a follow up.. For $99-150 what would be a good choice.

Depends on what kind of music. General recommendations around here: for rock, Grado (-60 or -80?). For classical, Sennheiser (HD580 or for a more "forward" sound, HD555 or 595). As with most things, cheaper used, but these all should fit in your budget (maybe the 595 only fits if purchased used).

G'luck,
Ari

Apr 11, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 12
Hmm ok. Thanks. I just figured since IEM's are so close to your eardrum that they would be able to reproduce better and more accurate sounds but guess not. Thanks for the info.

May 27, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #8 of 12
if u want on ears go for the pioneer hdj 500's there not really dj headphones but the bass is there and not overpowering the mids arent recessed either 2 cords for great portability and the cords are almost unbreakable ive had mine for 4 months now and they look brand new everyone ive let try them says they sound twice as good as beats and for 100 bucks why not? the memory foam isnt bad either and the build quality is fantastic with looks that rival beats according to everyone i know there not necissarily descreet though so everyone stares im not lieing either everyone stares when u were em the isolation rivals the hd 25s and they leak around volume 21 out of 30 on my walkman without the amp and around 12 with the amp but its damn loud enough at that point so for 100 bucks you cant go wrong and for djing they work too.

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Hmm ok. Thanks. I just figured since IEM's are so close to your eardrum that they would be able to reproduce better and more accurate sounds but guess not. Thanks for the info.

IEMs actually can reproduce sounds more accurate than full-size headphones because there would be less resonance caused by the housing.

However, accuracy does not mean "good" all the time. The problem is that not all songs are made with IEMs in mind. Most older music was made with speakers in mind, and most music made today was made with headphones in mind. Very few music was made with IEMs in mind. What that means is that IEMs weren't used specifically to make music in the past. Why? Because they didn't have IEMs back when Miles Davis revolutionized Jazz.

So while IEMs sound accurate, they don't necessarily reproduce songs the same way that sound engineers heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back