Quality IEM's for the gym
Dec 1, 2011 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

zzephyr27

Head-Fier
I'm looking for some quality IEM's that are comfy enough and stay in well enough to use at the gym. 

I love my Denon AH-D2000's to give an idea of the sound I like. I like bass but not to unrealistic extents. I also would rather not bother with an amp for these and the source will just be my iPod Touch. 

I used to have ATH-CK10's but I didn't like them because they had to go so deep and never would keep a proper seal. I don't want to be worrying about that type of stuff..

So what's leading the IEM world these days? Triple-fi, Westone, HifiMan?

Price range is maybe like $150..really is dependent on quality for the price so give or take like $50 or so

Thanks 

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 9
Audio Technica makes some very nice clip-on ear buds. It would most likely stay put better than in-ear ear buds

You could always use a pair of Bluetooth v2.0 headphones, Sony makes some with good SQ

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 9
i have the triplefi 10s and i guess it depends how big you canals are.

these huges are huuuge. i have small canals. I have to use the smallest non foam tips and i dont like how they fit with them (they do stay in pretty well). with the foam tips they stay in my ears more or less alright but i have to readjust them occasionally (its possible im crazy and think they are falling out). with a lot of movement they definitely lose the seal for me. If i was working out id never want these on.

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 9
Ah yeah, I forgot about those ATH-EW9's. How does the sound quality of those compare to IEM's though? Not sure I'd like it..but then again I'm not sure if I can find IEM's that will stay in good enough, or if sweat and such could be bad for them.

Also I heard the Triple Fi 10's are kinda light on bass so I'll probably pass on those.

How would RE262's be for my situation? I'm hearing very good things about those..

also Klipsch X10's?

Thanks for the help

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 9
i got a pair of x10s but they are still sealed and idk if i wanna open them. from what ive read here, they are uber comfortable. shrug. maybe ill try them out sometime in the week.

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 9
I chose the Shure SE215s for running and the gym. My Westone UM3X just seemed too fragile for it.

With the right tips (olives or comply) they're pretty secure and seem to be very sturdy. I use the iPhone cable which is a rubbery number that's almost perfect for working out.

I know public opinion here usually strays from it, but the Bowers and Wilkins C5 is also extremely secure thanks to the secure loop and would provide decent sound.

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 9
Check out this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/557599/best-iem-under-150-with-durability-and-sound-quality-focus

I would definitely be looking for something that has a monitor style housing that hugs the outer ear, designed to be worn cable up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back