Quality Headphone Under 50$
Aug 30, 2006 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

nokideen

Head-Fier
I'm new at World of Hi-Fi, Currently I have

Clarion Pro 2830 Vibration Bass Headphone. (I think chinnese)
Sennheiser CX300

I'm looking Headphone , comfortable
orphsmile.gif
for infront computer (well equalized sound card sound blaster live), under 50$. Used for quality use, what do you think I should buy ?

Thank you

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 24
PX100.
Portable, comfortable, rich sound, nice bass, pretty decent soundstage, under $50.

The PX200 are closed versions of the PX100.

Aug 30, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 24
I can't recommend the PX100. They are not comfy and too cheaply built for my taste. I compared them to the KSC-75 clip-ons and I thought they (the KSC-75) were just as good sounding, if not better. They both are in the same league. The KSC-75 are way cheaper too.

None of them are exquisite looking though. None of them are really sturdy too. But the PX100 really has that dollar store look to it, which speaks for its construction quality too!

...And none of them are really suitable for home use anyway! You already have your portable phones!

You might want to take a look at Sennheisers other offerings. I heard great things about the HD485 (if you can stretch your budget a bit). I've seen it for 64.99$ at NewEgg.com. They supposedly sound great, and are comfy too, because they go around the ear. A headphone holder is included too. That truly is a pair of headphones I'd like to try. Many people here have said that it was an unbeatable choice at under 100$. It is supposed to be better than the HD497 that has quite a reputation on these forums.

Aug 30, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 24
Im really interested in a new set of Pioneer headphones (to be released soon?) that are already being touted as PX100 killers. I think they'll sell for about $25, and they fold up and have a closed design.

Sorry, but I don't know the model number. Anyone know? It's not on the Pioneer USA site...

Aug 30, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 24
I recommend a used sr-60. Nearly unbeatable bang for the buck.

Aug 30, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 24
nokideen: I'd recommend you to check the Creative HQ-1300 - that's a surprisingly nice sounding, comfy and efficient headphone, which is ~ 25 Euro over here.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfed / lini

Aug 30, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 24
Thanks for all your opinion.

I need quality as best as Sennheiser CX300 (I thinks this earbud was great) I used in porttable mp3 player.

Now I need Infront Computer, so I need bigger headphone. I try to find picture of Sennheriser PX100, they are too small, are you sure bass/treble bigger than/same as Sennheiser CX300. I dont need more quality more, Just as good as CX300 but headphone big version.

"Closed" what you mean by PX200 closed type of PX100 ??

Which is better CX300 or PX100 or PX200 AS your opinion ?

Aug 30, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 24
Which is better CX300 or PX100 or PX200?

Each headphone is a different type so asking which is better is like asking if an apple or orange is better. It depends on what your needs are. The CX300 is the most isolating - others don't hear your music and you don't hear much outside noise. The PX200 would be next and the PX100 the least isolating. The PX100 and PX200 have the same drivers (speakers) but many feel the PX200 enclosure negatively affects the sound. Sealed means the "speaker" is open to your ear but closed to the outside.

To me, the PX100 is very comfortable and very good sounding. You might also consider the Koss Porta-Pro. It is less expensive and the bass (low frequency) is stronger. For me the Koss is more suitable for rock/pop while the Sennheiser sounds better with classical and jazz.

As Gaughtfried mentioned, the KSC75s have the same drivers as the PortaPros and are much cheaper. But I don't like clip-ons.

Hope this helps you make a decision.

Aug 30, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nokideen
Thanks for all your opinion.

I need quality as best as Sennheiser CX300 (I thinks this earbud was great) I used in porttable mp3 player.

Now I need Infront Computer, so I need bigger headphone. I try to find picture of Sennheriser PX100, they are too small, are you sure bass/treble bigger than/same as Sennheiser CX300. I dont need more quality more, Just as good as CX300 but headphone big version.

"Closed" what you mean by PX200 closed type of PX100 ??

Which is better CX300 or PX100 or PX200 AS your opinion ?

PX200 is a closed headphone while PX100 is an open headphone. Closed headphones block out outside noise and the sounds coming out of the headphone can't be heard by people near you. With open headphones, you can hear outside sound, and people near you can hear what you are listening to.

In general, if you want to use the headphone in a noisy environment (on a bus for example) or you need to maintain silence (in a library for example), then you will need closed headphones.

Your CX300 does the same thing as closed headphones. It blocks out outside noise and prevents the sounds you are listening to from leaking out to others.

If you search this forum, you will see that PX100 are among the most comfortable headphones available. Of course, a few people may disagree but by and large, most people find them comfortable.

As for PX200, they are not simply closed versions of PX100. They sound very different, and again, if you search this forum, you will see that most people find the sound quality to be poor. I have both the PX100 and PX200 and I prefer the PX100. In addition, because of the small cup size of the PX200, the PX200 does not isolate sound very well.

I no longer have the CX300 but if I remember correctly, I found the PX100 and CX300 to have a very similar sound. If you want something that sounds as good and sounds like the CX300, then you should be happy with the PX100.

But I'm curious. Why do you want headphone that's as good as the CX300? Why not simply use the CX300 in front of your computer?

Aug 30, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
Im really interested in a new set of Pioneer headphones (to be released soon?) that are already being touted as PX100 killers. I think they'll sell for about $25, and they fold up and have a closed design.

Sorry, but I don't know the model number. Anyone know? It's not on the Pioneer USA site...

I'm assuming you mean PHILIPS headphones.
I think a person I know has heard them and says they sound close to the HP460's.

Oh btw, for under $50, I can only recommend the HP460's for closed ATM; PX100's for open.

Aug 31, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by retic3nt
I'm still waiting for a review of the SHL9500.

Aren't we all?
eggosmile.gif

I know they arrived today at my friend's house. It's just a matter of "should I also wait for my HD3's or should I just get those later?"

You guys decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back