Quality and Small MP3/CD Player
Jan 9, 2005 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

PersianMafia

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good mp3/cd player for 100-150$ CAD. The Panasonic SL-CT710 Slim CD / MP3 Player is one that has aroused my attention. Its going for $130 at London Drugs. Any opinions about this CD player? I'm looking for a nice sleek CD player that will last. I won't be using it for exercising, just taking a 30 min bus everyday...

What about the 810? Its a little more expensive but is it worth the extra? I don't really care about WMA playback...

Also, know of any good sites with cheap CD player prices that ship to Canada or are in Canada?

Jan 9, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #2 of 10
i have the sony dne300 and its $60USD retail. it is excellent, i bought it almost month and still havent change batteries (80hours), very good antiskip and with EQ too. the sony dne1 sound a bit better, very slim, with line out , but only have lcd display on its remote. only thing i dont like about sony cd player is they fastforward slow for mp3.

i never heard the ct710, its supposed to be good overall, just cannot fastforward for mp3.

Jan 9, 2005 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks, but I really want a slim and portable cd player. The Panasonic not having MP3 fastforwarding is a bummer since I listen to many livesets. Anyone know of any good sites that ship to canada with good prices?

Jan 10, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 10
Well, I got the SL-CT710 and boy am I happy. First of all, it was reg. 150 at Futureshop, pricematched it with www.canadacomputers.com for $95! Plus taxes it came to $108 CAD! That made me a little happy. With the price match, the SL-CT810 would come to $150, but I'd rather save that 40 dollars and either invest in product service plan or just save for an MP3 player.

Now onto my review of the cd player. This CD player beats the sound quality of any MD or CD player that I have had. I have had 2 sony PCDP and one sony MD, and one early Pioneer MD and I must say, this CD player is the finest of them all (sound quality, ease of use, and looks).

It's definately not the loudest CD player on the market, but it works just fine for my uses. I'm not gonna talk about the PROs since there are too many
wink.gif

I'll just mention all the CONs that come to mind (even the minor ones)

1. Biggest problem of this player is the rechargable battery. I've only had it for one day, and haven't used it yet, but it being NiCd and glue stick is just a recipe for disaster 2 years down the road. I think I'll stick to the external AA battery pack for my bus rides and only use the rechargeables for special occasions, since I do not want them to fail on my 2 years down the line and spend $100 dollars on replacements (BTW, replacements are very difficult to find too!) Anybody know how long these panasonic gum sticks last or have experience with them?

2. No ff on MP3 files, but I can live with that. It remembers the spot you were on before you turned it off, so there isn't much use to ffw through a song. I enjoy listening to an album from front to end (that's what you have to do with trance/house, its like a story unfolding) and so that's not a biggie, but could be a problem when showing a friend a certain part of a song...

3. No pause on the remote, but you can stop it and resume play back from where you were. It takes a little longer than pausing and resuming, but i does the job.

4. The fact that if your remote is broken/lost the cd player is not easily usable, but usuable, since it heavily relies on the remote and its functions.

But for 108 dollars, I am more than happy with my buy
lambda.gif

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 10
I also have the SL-CT710. I like everything about it except that the included NiCads self-discharge too quickly. NiMH do a much better job of holding onto their charge. I think the separate canister for AA batteries defeats the purpose of being small and lightweight. The cheapest place I know for replacement "gumstick" batteries is:
www.batterystation.com
They have compatible NiMH for <$10 each.
I also want to point out that the anti-skip mechanism works very well.

Cheers.
-J. P.

Jan 19, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #10 of 10
Aaah... thanks for the correction. Yes, perhaps it's because of the higher capacity that the CD player with NiMH seems to sit around longer without running out. Their capacity is about twice that of the NiCads (~700 mAh vs ~1400 mAh).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back