Quality amp in the 300-400 dollar range? Caliente? Little Country 3?
Feb 1, 2010 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AudioICE

New Head-Fier
Probably a lot more value if I buy used, so I'm looking to go that route. I've had my eyes on a couple of different ones. Firestone's Little Country 3 (tube) and Purity Audio's Caliente (warm solid state). They seem to have solid reviews and fit my needs.

Source is a modded Rotel RCD 971 and the headphones are ATH W1000's.

Any other suggestions or input will be greatly appreciated!

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 7
Might want to check out the Ming Da MC84-C-07 which is a very nice little integrated amp with great headphone output and good speaker output with efficient speakers (>90db efficiency and 8 ohms). Can be had for around $400. Read Skylab's and other's reviews on this forum. I also have one of these and am really enjoying it.

One thing to note is that some report this amp not suitable for low impedance phones. Looks like the w1000's are only 40 ohms as they might hiss when there is no sound. I've actually got two pairs of low impedance phones and I rarely notice any hiss and if I do it doesn't bother me at all. HD600's work very well with this amp.

Also, many suggest rolling tubes from the Chinese tubes that come with this amp. I've been satified with the Chinese tubes for around two months. Just today I recieved some NOS Baldwin 12ax7's and EL84's. I'll be trying them out tonight to see if there is a marked improvement.

Just food for thought.

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlantinen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might want to check out the Ming Da MC84-C-07 which is a very nice little integrated amp with great headphone output and good speaker output with efficient speakers (>90db efficiency and 8 ohms). Can be had for around $400. Read Skylab's and other's reviews on this forum. I also have one of these and am really enjoying it.

One thing to note is that some report this amp not suitable for low impedance phones. Looks like the w1000's are only 40 ohms as they might hiss when there is no sound. I've actually got two pairs of low impedance phones and I rarely notice any hiss and if I do it doesn't bother me at all. HD600's work very well with this amp.

Also, many suggest rolling tubes from the Chinese tubes that come with this amp. I've been satified with the Chinese tubes for around two months. Just today I recieved some NOS Baldwin 12ax7's and EL84's. I'll be trying them out tonight to see if there is a marked improvement.

Just food for thought.

Hmm. The 1000's seem to lose some of their clarity once they start hissing, too much going on. I've got another set of low impedance cans (SR 80's) that keep their overall clarity when amped even with hissing and noise though.

Something ultra clean would be ideal. That's why I'm looking into the Little Country 3 as I've read that it's pretty damn quiet and it's a tube amp with a warm but detailed sound. The Caliente would be quiet too i'm assuming.

Thanks though.

Any other insight?

Are used WooAudio 3 Plus amps easy to come by on this site or others?

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 7
The Little Country 3 sounds pretty good and is quiet, but it DOES have a little hum, which on their website they claim that there is none. It has a gain switch on the back for different cans. I tried the amp with my Denon AH-D5000's(25 ohms) with a poor result though. The impedance is too low and gives no headroom for the volume...it will clip if you turn it up too much, which wasn't that loud before it did. Your phones are 40 ohms though, so they should work better with the LC3. It's supposed to work well with phones between 28 to 300 ohms.

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3sheets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Little Country 3 sounds pretty good and is quiet, but it DOES have a little hum, which on their website they claim that there is none. It has a gain switch on the back for different cans. I tried the amp with my Denon AH-D5000's(25 ohms) with a poor result though. The impedance is too low and gives no headroom for the volume...it will clip if you turn it up too much, which wasn't that loud before it did. Your phones are 40 ohms though, so they should work better with the LC3. It's supposed to work well with phones between 28 to 300 ohms.

LC3 it is then. How much of a difference do you think it would make once I replace the tubes?

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 7
I bought my G-Lite + DPS for $450 and after taking it back out for use after a year's rest, I'm loving it. I believe it has better spatial separation of instruments and voices than my DV 337, although it can't hold in low-end extensions. I don't know if this combo is still around $450 though, I bought it 2.5 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back