Quality, 21st Century Hip-Hop:
Apr 7, 2007 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
I cant begin to describe how dissapointed I have been in Hip-Hop over the past couple of years. I just cannot seem to find anything that impresses me anymore. This is due in part because I think majority of the hip-hop out there is absolute, talentless garbage and the other part, because I just cant find or dont know about the quality material. As a result, I barley listen to hip-hop anymore.

Im sure the above will pi$$ some people off, but its my opinion and its based on listening to hip-hop since...well, when the genre was created. IMO, there are a limited amount of artists these days that can compete with the raw lyrical skill and musical originality of the old schoolers like B.I.G., Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang, Tribe, De La Soul, GangStarr, early Nas and Jay-Z, etc.
Im looking for smart rhymes with WICKED beats like MF Doom, Blackalicious, The Roots, Anti-Pop Consortium, etc. I dont care if its intelligent underground or more commercial and hard-edged as long as its good.

Please help me find the hidden gems of the past 10 or so years.

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 40
Haven't been listening to much hip-hop lately, but here's some suggestions that might work:

Madvillain (MF DOOM and Madlib) - Madvillainy: You might already have this already as you mentioned DOOM, but if you don't have it go get it. IMO this is the best work either artist has done.

Felt - A Tribute to Christina Ricci: Atmosphere's Slug and Ant along with Murs. Just a great album IMO, it's not focused on one style of beats/flows/subject matter, and both MCs are great with their lyrics.

Murs - 3:16, Murray's Revenge: Both produced by 9th Wonder, who can be hit or miss with some people for production tastes.

Clipse - anything really: Kind of out of place with the rest of the things I'm recommending, especially considering they talk about cocaine in 90% of their lines, but they are loaded with clever lines and metaphors and it helps that I love Neptunes beats, which is all these guys use for their LPs.

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 40
Last 10 years.

Beanie Sigel - The B. Coming

Dr. Dre - Chronic 2001

De La Soul - Any AOI CD, the new Impossible Mission CD, they keep puting out hot **** if you like De La.

Talib Kweli & Mos Def - Blackstar

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030

Gorillaz - Both Albums

Ghostface - Fishscale, also i liked his new CD Hidden Darts

50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Tryin

GZA & DJ Muggs - Grandmasters

Hi-Tek - H-Teknology

Nas - Hip Hop Is Dead

Jadakiss - Kiss of Death

KRS keeps putting out hot albums too, Hip Hop is Alive is coming out may i think, sometime soon

Ice Cube - Laugh Now Cry Later

Dead Prez - Lets Get Free

Wordsworth - Mirror Music

Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek - Relection Eternal

Busta Rhymes - The Big Bang

Jay-Z - The Black Album

Big Noyd - The Stick Up Kid

Game - The Documentary

Mick Boogie & Biggie - Unbelivable

Well theres some of the great stuff still out.

But i definatly agree with you, that the old school is THE BEST EVER, they will never be able to top the golder era.

Apr 7, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 40
Some 21st century (post-2000) hip hop albums that I enjoy, keeping in mind that I too am an old-school hip-hop listener.

1) Ghostface - Fischscales
2) Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury, We Got It 4 Cheap Vol. 2
3) Lil' Wayne - Tha Carter Vol 2, Dedication
4) Nas - Hip Hop Is Dead

Apr 7, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 40
Here's two guys that don't get much mention around here.

El-P - Fantastic Damage and I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Dalek - From Filthy Tongue of Gods and Griots, Absence, and Abandoned Language.

All are fantastic albums, and both of them have released a new album in the last few months.

While I am not experienced in "old school" hip-hop, what I have heard I can safely say is better than the garbage that floats around the airwaves where I live.

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 40
Hip-hop over the past few years have been pretty lackluster. I'm not only talking about the stuff that is played on radio but also the underground scene. Back in the early 21st the underground was producing some quality work but now I feel it is sort of losing steam. One album I got recently is the Curse ov Dialect's - Wooden Tongues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAn2C4xlvhA

Watch the whole video since the best part comes at the end. If you like this video then you will definitly like this album. Great hip-hop from way down south (australia).

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #7 of 40
Not sure if they have anything new out recently, but Deltron 3030.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 40
I will second Deltron 30-30. Not sure what you guys are looking for. Check out Atmosphere. I believe its out of Columbus, so its more of a midwest style, pretty lyrically complex. No big producer beats, just a lyricist that would put most current "artists" to shame.

Apr 11, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #10 of 40
The majority of the artists on the Definitive Jux label are spectacular.

Aesop Rock, El-P, Mr. Lif, and Cannibal Ox being my favourites.

Of those, Mr. Lif would be my definite pick, specifically Emergency Rations, which touches on the war in Iraq, etcetera, and I Phantom, which explores the way parents are less involved with there kids, and so on.

Anyhow, both are stellar albums, and all aforementioned artists are stellar picks, in my opinion.

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #13 of 40
second on sage francis, his new album that will be out in about a month is wonderful from what ive heard of it. check out sole if you want some stream of concisousness sometimes, sometimes very pointed fast rapping, with crazy beats behind them. anticon ftw

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #15 of 40
Try some hip-hop from the Canadian scene. Guys like K-OS are putting out great music. So I am told they are more underground in the States, but it is very lyrical and while I am not a hip-hop fan in general, I like to go out and check the local and Canadian hip-hop scene, the quality of the show is awesome and you don't get the obligatory bling in your face attitude I see on MTV. An artist I really like, though I am not sure if he fits into the genre you are looking for is Kid Koala.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back