Quality 2.5mm jack sockets for headphones mod
Aug 31, 2017 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

snky1987

New Head-Fier
A little bit of background at start:

I have Beyerdynamic T51p which are relatively "packed" and small headphones (measurements later).
Headphones itself are just amazing however cable... not so good... also the cables are non-detachable which makes any modification/re-wiring/repair difficult.

I would like to modify them headphones by adding the jack slots to each ear cups so that I could replace/change the cables as much as I want without additional work.

I did the measurements and (I accepted 1mm error ratio because I used Torx measurement tape):
1) Drilled hole is 5mm (max. 6mm)
2) Free space from the hole to speaker magnet is 10mm (max. 12mm)

After those measurements I realised that it will be impossible to use those amazing Neutrik 3.5mm jack slots with spring inside (that increases the release strength) so I started to look after 2.5mm jack slots.

The only problem is that the only ones I found are some crappy ones from Maplin (in UK) for £0.34/each which I doubt are quality elements.

Do you know any quality 2.5mm jack slots that have enough "release strength" to be used as jack slots for headphones ? The last thing I want is to spend few hours and get something that will disengage easily making my headphones even worse in wiring :)

If there is something better than 2.5mm jack (but no bigger than 10mm long) please let me know as well :)

Edit: Shall I consider 3-20N withdrawal force as a good one ?
Edit 2: So far I realised that is damn difficult to find decent 2.5mm jacks and sockets :D I bought one and let's see how it goes :D

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 2
A little bit of background at start:
Edit: Shall I consider 3-20N withdrawal force as a good one ?
Edit 2: So far I realised that is damn difficult to find decent 2.5mm jacks and sockets :D I bought one and let's see how it goes :D
Hi snky1987, been a while since you started this thread but I am currently looking into the same mod at the moment and hoped you could share your experience. I measured the clearance to the driver as 15mm so I am going to check this again! Did you manage to successfully complete the mod and if so what sockets did you end up using? I'm still hoping to get some kind of open chassis mount 3.5mm socket but need to do a bit more research. The cable is really not rugged enough to be deemed portable IMO - I'm on my 5th recabling.....
Cheers
Nic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back