Quality 2.0 speaker setup for small room
Mar 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #16 of 17
I've built several sets of speakers.  Here's my advice after considering the room.  Since you are willing to spend up to 600 pounds, I hope you want full, rich sound and I hope you can make good use of the volume control.
I personally cant fathom parting with that much coin and not being able to enjoy an immersive experience.
I'd look at an absolute minimum woofer size of 4 inches, 6 would better... a REALLY good speaker can give you deep clean bass with 4 inch woofers, but if you go up to 6, you can get a deeper bass with a less exotic design.  Forget the sub, you dont have room.
One easy way to DIY without worrying too much about the finishing is to buy an older pair of speakers with nice enclosures, throw away the drivers, stiffen the walls with internal braces, add stuffing, and then purchase suitable drivers.  You must try to choose the woofer so its a good match for the enclosure size and type (reflex vs. sealed)  You accomplish this matching with various formulas (Thiele, Small etc) and, optionally, choosing from various "alignments" for fine tuning your desired bass response characteristics.  Its a very fun hobby if you dont mind a little math.

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #17 of 17

Quote:
I've built several sets of speakers.  Here's my advice after considering the room.  Since you are willing to spend up to 600 pounds, I hope you want full, rich sound and I hope you can make good use of the volume control.
I personally cant fathom parting with that much coin and not being able to enjoy an immersive experience.
I'd look at an absolute minimum woofer size of 4 inches, 6 would better... a REALLY good speaker can give you deep clean bass with 4 inch woofers, but if you go up to 6, you can get a deeper bass with a less exotic design.  Forget the sub, you dont have room.
One easy way to DIY without worrying too much about the finishing is to buy an older pair of speakers with nice enclosures, throw away the drivers, stiffen the walls with internal braces, add stuffing, and then purchase suitable drivers.  You must try to choose the woofer so its a good match for the enclosure size and type (reflex vs. sealed)  You accomplish this matching with various formulas (Thiele, Small etc) and, optionally, choosing from various "alignments" for fine tuning your desired bass response characteristics.  Its a very fun hobby if you dont mind a little math.

If I go the DIY way i will have to spend a lot of time researching and learning if I want to do the whole process. I'm thinking of a local person who sells designs and packs, I might look at that first.
I also realized lately that the room you work in is equally important and in my case I have to do also some research on how to optimize the space I have. I might not benefit much from a 6" woofer currently as the bass I hear where I sit is very limited already. This is why I'm looking for a good starter on room acoustics, there is a lot of info on the net from company who sell products and I question there motives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back