Quality 1/4 to 3.5mm Adapter
Jan 11, 2009 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Bleuburd

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm getting some phones that have a headphile cable with a 1/4 connector, but I want to use them with my ibasso D2 Boa, which has a 3.5mm output. So, I'm looking for a nice adapter. Since I'm sort of new to this, I was wondering if you all could point me in the right direction. I really don't want to spend more that $25-30, but if it's absolutely necessary I'll consider it.

Thanks in advance,
Bleuburd

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 21
Welcome To Head-Fi Bleuburd. And Sorry About Your Wallet. This one might hurt a little.
What I would suggest would be something like this. An adapter that has a female 1/4" connector w/a short length of wire to a 3.5mm mini plug. This way you'll relieve a lot of stress that would normally be applied to the jacks of the HP amp if you used a normal adapter. This one pictured below is used as an example:
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 21
Well if you are going to take your ibasso for a walk then the above mentioned are a good solution, however you can get this:

DealExtreme: $2.08 Gold Plated 3.5mm Male to 6.3mm Female Audio Connectors (2-Pack)

for home use. I use it with my grado sr225 directly to my Cowon D2. As i live the D2 on the table, and I don't move it around, the player's jack doesn't suffer a lot of stress from the headphones. I will also use it for connecting it to the Fiio E5 amp once it comes.

@Headphile808: where can you buy that type?, and for how much?

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 21
@Headphile808: where can you buy that type?, and for how much?[/QUOTE]

The adapter in the thumb is from ALO Audio, a Premeir Sponsor here. Price is $175. You could get something like this from a few other companies, as well as having one made by one of the members here at a fraction of the price. The one below is a Cable Pro Panorama $99. Good Luck.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Jan 12, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 21
Stick with a Sennheiser or Grado one. They're well made, won't degrade sound quality, and won't run you over $20 shipped. The Sennheiser one can be ordered direct from Sennheiser as an individual part, or you can get it along with with a neat accessory like a pair of HD650's. I think Headroom carries the Grado one. Don't pay more than $20 or so, it's just not worth it.

Jan 12, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 21
Well it is a shame grado won't ship them to Europe (not even a freaking cable :/), and the dealer in Spain had to ask for it, and the price would go up very easily... ATM i have one as the link I put in my above post, and it works good, but I'd like not to put some stress to the players jack.

Where can I ask a member for a DIY one, or even better, where can i learn to DIM?

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that 175$ converter can make your iBuds sound like a HD650s.

then i believe that iBuds sound better than HD650 anyway...a converter only spoils the purity of ibud's signal flow
600smile.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it is a shame grado won't ship them to Europe (not even a freaking cable :/), and the dealer in Spain had to ask for it, and the price would go up very easily... ATM i have one as the link I put in my above post, and it works good, but I'd like not to put some stress to the players jack.

Where can I ask a member for a DIY one, or even better, where can i learn to DIM?

I like the Senn adapter better than the Grado one anyway. It's cheaper, just as well made, and has a smaller barrel. I can't fit the Grado adapter into my iPod with the case on and with my X4, it presses the bass boost button when I use it.

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that 175$ converter can make your iBuds sound like a HD650s.

Only when Cryo'ed however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back