Qualia 010
Nov 22, 2005 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

PATB

1000+ Head-Fier
In general, I don't mind purchasing headphones without an audition. However, I never did get the guts to do so with the Qualia 010. It is not a matter of price; I purchased a Stax Omega II and Sennheiser HE90 sans audition. It is just that the Qualia 010 is probably one of the most despised headphone in Head-fi. So although I have been itching to purchase one of these since the beginning of this year, I just convinced myself that it must be terribly bright, have a distracting echoey sound, sounds thin, and will make bad recordings sound really bad.

Well, Ayt999 was nice enough to let NeilPeart borrow his Qualia 010, and NeilPeart was nice enough to let me listen to it in my office. The audition was actually for the R10 and HE90, not the Qualia 010, which I already wrote off as a Sony "mistake" based on numerous posts here on head-fi. Since I didn't have an amp in the office, the audtion was less than ideal: Meridian G08 as transport=>DAC1=>Qualia 010 (yes, plugged directly to the DAC1 headphone amp). I expected the Qualia 010 to sound bright, thin, echoey, etc. etc. but it didn't. And although I prefer the R10 in that same setup, it took me a couple of A/Bs to arrive at that conclusion. And the Qualia 010 was definitely more comfortable to me. Even with that audition, I still didn't have the guts to purchase one simply based on impressions here. I know I should trust my own ears, but the posts against this headphone are just staggering. That was months and several PMs ago.

Fast forward to last Saturday. I took the family for a Las Vegas vacation and guess what I found at the Caesar's forum shops at 11:30pm? A Sony Style store with a Qualia department in the back
very_evil_smiley.gif
So when my kids ran to the store to check out PSP video games, I couldn't help but go inside with them. After all, you can't let your kids run around by themselves, especially in Vegas. I asked the "concierge" for the 010 and next thing you know I was listening to an unfamiliar Jazz SACD playing on the Qualia 007 player. The 010 was plugged directly to the 007 without a dedicated headphone out and the darn thing still refused to sound echoey, thin, and bright. I was getting worried because I actually really liked it. I doubt it will replace the HD650 as my all time favorite, but I do want a second phone with a different sound signature. So when my wife commented that it looks much better than my "other headphone," I didn't argue and nodded lots of times
icon10.gif
I paid for the 010 and decided to get the heck out of there before my wife discovers it costs $2600
icon10.gif
I was told by the salesperson to wait for a phone call next week to confirm a delivery date, and expect to wait up to 4 weeks if there is nothing in stock.

Well, I arrived back in San Jose today and guess what has been waiting for me in the office since yesterday? Yes, the Qualia 010. Unbelievable. I bought it in Las Vegas Saturday night and it arrived in my office Monday afternoon. It is burning in right now with choice folk music
icon10.gif
so impressions will have to wait. And for now, the obligatory pic with its big brother, the HD650.

IMG_1632.jpg

Nov 22, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 39
Nice impressions, patb. I personally like the 010 as well, having listened to the same pair you did a while back. In fact, had I the money, I'd purchase the 010 over the other top-of-the-line headphones. Glad you enjoy them... and yes, they do look good!

Nov 22, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 39
Nice story! I'm waiting for your impressions.

Nov 22, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 39
Hi,

Can you tell me, if the R10, or the 5000 or the Q010 is better and how they are better? I had a HD600, now I have a HD650, so all I know about how a Headphone sounds comes from them...

Thanks very mutch,

Tamas Tako

Nov 22, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #10 of 39
Pat, wow, I knew you've been seriously considering these for a little while now, congratulations!!! I think most people who like and own these cans have found them to be quite rewarding and I hope your experience is the same.

Now all you need is a bling-stro and you're set!
biggrin.gif

Best regards,

-Jason

Nov 22, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 39
Someone suggested the QUALIA 010 would be a good analytical
headphone for studio mixing, but then someone else insisted that a headfi
meet felt the QUALIA was neither good for audiophile listening nor studio
mixing due to the "unnatural" sound qualities that you mentioned.

You aren't the first person to NOT hear the "unnatural" qualities of the 010.
I wonder what is causing this. Is it totally due to the way it fits
people's heads, or are some people more sensitive to high frequency
anomalies, or is it a system synergy thing? A true mystery that would be worth analyzing, since the SA5000 gets the same love/hate.

Nov 22, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #13 of 39
It is totally due to the fit on the Qualia. The effect is much less pronounced on the SA5000, and beside the SA5000 adjusts properly.

I almost gave up on the 010 at one stage, but among other occasions when I noticed a change, when I casually slipped it on when I had bedhead it actually sounded a lot better... so I resolved to spend some time with the screwdriver (which is still ludicrous). I prefer it to the Orpheus in some respects, although it's still nowhere near as nice to just waft away with the music in. Come to think of it, even the HD650 is better for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back