Quail group buy review thread
Jul 27, 2004 at 8:50 AM Post #16 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteeleBlayde
Can anyone else confirm the postive results when removing the ferrite beads? My headphone has been lent out so I cant exactly hear the difference ...
tongue.gif

Unless absolutely necessary, I suggest to leave the ferrite beads in place. This ensures that less noise will be inserted to your equipment and to your power source. If you can't hear the difference, leave them on.
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 11:18 AM Post #17 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
Unless absolutely necessary, I suggest to leave the ferrite beads in place. This ensures that less noise will be inserted to your equipment and to your power source. If you can't hear the difference, leave them on.
wink.gif

That is true, but it has also been found that ferrite beads can sometimes impact the sound, usually limiting dynamics according to most accounts. I've heard it on occasion myself. Ferrites in general, are a double-edged blade. But as you also said, if there isnt a difference in sound, why not?
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #18 of 72
ok so will anyone else with cables to spare remove the beads and tell me weather they improve the sound or not.

Jul 27, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #19 of 72
Well after testing, things were closer then I originally thought. The cable with the ferrites seemed to take alittle longer to break-in. In the end it was almost to close to call. The cable without the ferrites was the one I preferred. The highs were slightly extended, easier to hear details, better decay, and slightly more volume.

I hope this helps, cause I suck at writing these kinda things.
rolleyes.gif

I'd like to hear other poeple's reviews too. I know your out their.

Jul 27, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #20 of 72
oh yeah ... just took off the beads off one of my cables ... yeah it does sound more open .... vocals sound way better ... more natural sounding ....

Jul 31, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #22 of 72
OK, I removed the ferrite chokes off of one of mine.

The rubber covering is pretty thick, so don't use a knife or razor, you can easily slip and cut yourself. A pair of wire cutters did the trick.

Quail_Ferrite_Removeal_01.jpg

A gentle tap with a hammer, and the ferrite choke shatters.

Quail_Ferrite_Removeal_02.jpg

-Ed

Jul 31, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #23 of 72
do you have to have the ferrites at both ends? or could you just leave it on one end? would either end be better for some reason?

Aug 1, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
do you have to have the ferrites at both ends? or could you just leave it on one end? would either end be better for some reason?

The ferrites at the appliance end is suppose to reduce noise going into your equipment while the ferrites at the plug end reduces noise going into your power lines.

Aug 1, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #25 of 72
I'm highly interested in the preliminary impressions too. This looks like a very well built power cord.

By the way, has anyone tried plugging a custom Quail power cord into a power conditioner / regenerator? How is it?

Nov 10, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #27 of 72
Hey guys. I have a question. I plan to try to get a quail power cord for use with my guitar amp (it has a detachable power cable). My question is, would it be better to remove the ferrites or leave them on? (specifically for a guitar amp)

Nov 11, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #28 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
Any new impressions about the Quails? There where more than 50 buyers on the first batch...

I'm using all of them on computer and communications equipment at the moment. I'd like to say that my computers start up faster and my monitors are clearer, or that the range has been extended on our two-way radios, but...
tongue.gif

I will say that they are much higher quality than the OEM crap cords that usually accompany electronic equipment. Not only is a Quail cord's material and construction noticeably more robust than OEM cords, but its plugs are much more rugged and fit into receptacles/inlets more securely. Also, I would not be surprised to learn that there are other positive effects, particularly in terms of EMI/RFI suppression. So, having said all that, they were a worthwhile buy.

D.

Nov 11, 2004 at 8:28 AM Post #29 of 72
I soldered one onto my receiver. Didn't make a lick of difference as far as i can tell.

Nov 18, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #30 of 72
As I have stated elsewhere, I am a borderline believer in the "power cord effect". I have noticed certain effects of other wire changes though so I suppose I am progressing towards full insanity. I like the larger cord on my MOHR and it fits with the over-the-top engineering of that piece of equipment nicely. It seems to balance the heavy-duty design. I like the theory of the ferrites even though others have said to notice negative effects. I "imagine" a blacker background and more solid bass. There seems to be a little more open soundstage. Hell, it may possibly be reality.

I like well-made things and this cord completes the feeling of pride of ownership for my MOHR without making me feel like a complete idiot for dropping a bundle on wire. It makes me feel good and for that it is worth every penny!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back