Quail group buy review thread
Oct 19, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #46 of 72
huh! those pics are interesting, they totally look different than my non-ferrite quails or even the sample quail i got that was supposed to be identical to the group buy quails - same see-thru plugs but gray shielding instead of black. I wonder how different my cords sound than yours!

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #47 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by av98m2
Just got my Quails last night.
smily_headphones1.gif

...Plugged into my powerstrip...

Your PM is turned off. I was wondering if you could provide me with some more information on that power strip.

Also, regarding my Quail cord (which was just shipped). I broke down this summer since I couldn't wait any more and got a Zu Birth. I'd happily compare the two after giving the Quail a week to burn in on my computer. However, I doubt it'll make much difference on my system.

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
huh! those pics are interesting, they totally look different than my non-ferrite quails or even the sample quail i got that was supposed to be identical to the group buy quails - same see-thru plugs but gray shielding instead of black. I wonder how different my cords sound than yours!

The first group buy had the grey jacket (not shielding, the colored outer case is just a jacket, not a shield). I've been using mine since the first group buy and we're now on the third. I have only noticed changes in the sound when I switched gear to them from poor quality cables. Since I have never been much of a believer in power cords, I also never really paid attention. The construction is first-rate, plugs are nice and tight on both ends and these cables won't fall out like many others (including boutique power cords) do. While mine have not experienced much abuse they sure look like they could take it. I have noticed the ferrites acting as an effective noise suppressor when I recently experienced power problems. The six foot length is shorter than I would like in a perfect world but worth it for cables that are this good and priced this cheap. Bottom line - Excellent construction and performance in an inexpensive cable, highly recommended!
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #49 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Your PM is turned off. I was wondering if you could provide me with some more information on that power strip.

I think that's a furutech e-TP60. you can find more info at www.furutech.com

VH Audio sells that model, and seems to be having a sale on it.

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by snaimpally
I'm a complete noob as far as power cables go. Which Quail model(s) is the preferred one that the group bought?

As GPalmer said, the first run was of clear plugs and grey sleeving - i'm using that in the Melos and he seems to like em hehe. Mine doesn't have the ferrite beads. The most recent version has clear plugs, ferrite beads, and black sleeving and are shielded. This is the one from the 3rd group buy and impressions are just rolling in, i believe they are still 6 ft. The box of 10 that i got are grey plugs and sleeving and no ferrite beads and are 8ft. Nothing jumps out as a radical improvement, but the good thing is that nothing jumps out as a BAD thing either hehe.

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #52 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by snaimpally
I'm a complete noob as far as power cables go. Which Quail model(s) is the preferred one that the group bought?

The one we ordeed were custom specs. Hospital grade plugs, 6ft 14AWG wire, ferrites in both ends of the plugs and shielding.

All 3 Quail group buys have these specs. The difference is only in the colors. The first buy had clear plugs and white jacket. 2nd had clear plus and black jacket. The last one is all black.

Oct 19, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #53 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
The one we ordeed were custom specs. Hospital grade plugs, 6ft 14AWG wire, ferrites in both ends of the plugs and shielding.

All 3 Quail group buys have these specs. The difference is only in the colors. The first buy had clear plugs and white jacket. 2nd had clear plus and black jacket. The last one is all black.

Thanks, that clarifies it. Wasn't clear before if it was custom or off the rack. I guess I missed out. Next time. [If anyone has an extra one or two, I'm interested ...]

Oct 20, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #55 of 72
Pics post
quail.jpg

So far I have recognized a reduction in noise and no glaring differences in sound.

I'm running one of the quails to my left self-amped monitor and the stock cable to the right

Oct 20, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #56 of 72
I have a purple one for sale... of course you have to buy the Dynahi that goes with it.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #57 of 72
Man that solid black is too cool, I have a buddy who is going to flip over them (He's a biker and other than jeans never wears anything other than black, heh, it'll match his wardrobe and he ordered some of them this time around).

Oct 22, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #58 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy

Sorry, I forgot to reactivate my head-fi account. Aty999 has already answered for me I see. Its quite a nifty powerstrip. Built like a tank, but much prettier!
rs1smile.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #60 of 72
anyone had any negative first impressions with the quails?

I'm sure its just a pre-burn in thing, but I put a couple pairs on my monoblocks in place of some generics and my systems balance has been thrown off as a result. Things are sounding a bit bright and like I might have some midrange suck out going on. Also, soundstage seemed bigger but imaging is sucking a bit so its kinda hollow-ish. Like listening to hi-fi in the cockpit of a plane or something...

I'm sure this will all resolve itself as these guys burn in, but I did find it interesting that everyone else seems to be posting very positive first impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back