Quad Opteron Performance
Dec 7, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 9
It's not that useful for regular people though.

Dec 7, 2003 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 9
I want one!! (or maybe 4 or 8!) I'm implementing this face recognition system (viola and jones) for a final project, and I need to compress about 24 days of computation into about 2. Presentation day is in 1.5 weeks!
eek.gif

well, I guess I don't really need one. The plan is to take over a 40 computer lab for a couple nights, hehe.
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2003 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 9
I don't think the quad systems have AGP.

There's not a lot of mobo options. Hmm... taking a look at the prices, going dual 1.4 maybe a better workstation than single 1.8.

Dec 7, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 9
To truly see what these beast can do you have to wait for the 64bit OS's.

MSI makes a nice dual 940 board with agp for under $220.
Pair that with two 1.4 opterons and you have the start of a pretty good workstation.

Dec 8, 2003 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 9
The power, the raw UNBRIDLED POWER... MUAHA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HAaa... eh? oh, excuse me.

Right now I have a dual MP system, I'm considering an upgrade from dual 1.2's to dual 2800's plus a jump in video cards. Since most of my work is with video games I don't need huge rendering power.

The POWER, it calls to me, so tempting, by the looks of this madness, this sheer sweet rendering god of a computer, I may just have to skip the upgrade on my main system and get this as a render box...

Mmmmm... quad...

Dec 8, 2003 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 9
These chips are seriously pricey though...

As it stands today, the top of the range AMD chip at PCWorld.co.uk goes for the equivilant of around $1,000 per unit
eek.gif

...Well, I can dream anyway
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back